I've quit the drums.

Yes that's right i've decided to add drumming to a long list of things i can't do. I'm going to keep them though.

DO NOT QUIT THE DRUMS!!!!! No, no, no.

What happened, exactly, to cause you to reach this decision? Whatever it was, you just may be at the point where everything starts falling into place.

Look, as musicians we all have our dark nights of the soul, the feeling that it's useless or whatever. Often those are the times when we're right at the brink of breaking through into a deeper understanding of and relationship with our instrument.

So look. What happened?

i quit the drums. for 15 years! but i'm back. you can never really quit, so you might as well just stay with it.

OH NO! Not another, I QUIT THREAD! I can't take any more of these!
This is the part where I say things like WHY? YOU DON'T REALLY WANT TO QUIT!
I'm not going to bite this time! Get back on that kit, and stop fooling around!
I don't want to hear it!

Hey Eddie, enjoy the break. I'm sure you'll find some interesting things to do.

You'll be back. There's no choice. For me, in '98 that was it. Gone. Drumming was the past. Nice girls don't play the drums. Nice middle-aged women even less so.

I hung onto my drums for sentimental reasons until in mid-2006 when I figured I needed the extra space and that sentimentality was stupid. I sold them.

Novemeber 2006 a web-designer friend (I'd been getting into web design) who also liked to sing called and said a friend's band desperately needed a drummer for the night and would I be able to fill in. At first my reaction was of a "you gotta be kidding" kind but he was insistent and has always been highly skilled at the Charm Offensive.

Bizarrely, they liked me but I was sick of being a backbeat slave and fortunately another drummer expressed interest so I thought I'd try something different - percussion and backing vocs. Gradually I shifted to keyboards. But the drummer kept on having to drive the kids to whatever stupid function kids go to so I had some fill ins.

The bug bit ... I remembered how when I was a drummer I'd say it was the most fun you could have sitting down.

Come early 2007 some of us split off (the rhythm section sucked) and auditioned for drummers. If the quality of the cattle turning up was even close to the talent on show everywhere on this site I'd still be on keys. But they were all either too loud, too busy, didn't listen or tried to impose their own incompatible musicial vision onto the band.

No choice. I had to go back to drums and talked a friend who dabbles in everything to join on keys. For a year I hedged, hiring the crap studio kit held together with gaffa tape.

Then another breakaway and the singer friend, the erstwhile keys guy and I found new guitar and bass.

Then I discovered DrummerWorld and learned more in six months than I did in 20 years. I stopped hiring kits and bought a new one.

Now there is no escape. Maybe someone should set up Drumaholics Anonymous? ."One beat is too many and a hundred's not enough". This forum is littered with "ex players" who couldn't kick the habit.

Two mottos to the story:

1. There is no escape. Don't even pretend.

2. Don't even consider selling your drums during this break. It will cost you - 100% guarantee

LOL Give Eddie a break, Bob. The poor guy wants to pretend he has a life before he realises that, as a drummer, it's ultimately not possible.

That video would actually turn me off - the plethora of highly skilled professionals performing the unattainable just makes the humble hobbyist with modest technique feel like s/he would just clutter up a scene that's already saturated with nimble brilliance to bursting point.

This is the more the kind of thing that would tempt me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-spAA9aLN0

Simple stuff with a great vibe. That's the lure for me ...

LOL Give Eddie a break, Bob. The poor guy wants to pretend he has a life before he realises that, as a drummer, it's ultimately not possible.

That video would actually turn me off - the plethora of highly skilled professionals performing the unattainable just makes the humble hobbyist with modest technique feel like s/he would just clutter up a scene that's already saturated with nimble brilliance to bursting point.

This is the more the kind of thing that would tempt me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-spAA9aLN0

Simple stuff with a great vibe. That's the lure for me ...
Hey, It always worked for me!

This forum is littered with "ex players" who couldn't kick the habit.
Two mottos to the story:

1. There is no escape. Don't even pretend.

2. Don't even consider selling your drums during this break. It will cost you - 100% guarantee

Of which I'm also one. I agree with all posts so far Ed. Whilst I never 'quit' as such, I did walk away from it 'cos I wanted a break....unfotunately that break lasted about 5 years. Man, do I regret that now. Life circumstances have changed and I doubt I'll ever go back to working as regularly as I was, but my kit has called me back.....even if only as a hobbyist!

Take a break if you wish, consider your frustrations and take time to reflect.....but remember, it's a skill that would be a shame not to nurture....even if it's only for the woodshed.

Good motto's too btw...especially #2!

LOL Bob, you're like the freakin Energiser Bunny! I suggest having a living will so they don't prise the sticks from your cold, dead hands so you can be buried with them. If you know what's good for you in the afterlife I suggest adding a photo of your wife as well.

Keep playing Michael Shrieve vids and I'll be starting an "I'm quitting" thread :)

Wy, I think Eddie's comment, "a long list of things i can't do" says it all. I know that feeling intimately. I feel we need to give ourselves permission to not be very good. As we talked about, in the US there's a strong focus on excellence. The Yanks practice their brains out to be great. Given the US's massive influence here, it's an attitude I try to filter out for my own wellbeing.

There are already a gazillion fantastic players out there. However, there are niches that lesser drummers can fill more effectively than good ones, namely playing with other lesser players or even with better players who you get along with who just want to have fun without the pressure of trying to MAKE IT or BE SPECIAL

Sometimes an unapologetic, dinky unprofessional approach has it's own charm. That only became clear to me after I stopped playing for a while.

OK Polly, Pic of my wife you say! Here she is! Isn't she lovely!
This is what she looks like when I come home with a new whatever for my kits!

Attachments

• 6a00d83451bab869e200e54f18de6e8834-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451bab869e200e54f18de6e8834-800wi.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 675
Yes that's right i've decided to add drumming to a long list of things i can't do. I'm going to keep them though.

Did you really think any of us can actually play this instrument?

OK Polly, Pic of my wife you say! Here she is! Isn't she lovely!
This is what she looks like when I come home with a new whatever for my kits!

Bob, We normally scrub up best at the wedding so I'd go for a wedding shot. When today is too hard there's nothing wrong with THIS.

Agree with Ken. I've been clumsy on the instrument since 1975 and suspect I will continue to be clumsy in 2020.

Back