Karaoke with the Band

DrummerCA35

We're playing a decent paying wedding this summer. The bride wants to have an hour long "Karaoke with the Band" session. I guess her friends and family who want to do this pick a song from the Band's master set list and then have their song with the band. To be sure, I've played weddings where someone might have sat in on the drums, or guitar, or bass, or maybe sung one song. I've never been part of a band karaoke thing for that long for that many people. Have any of you been there/done that? How was it?

There is a bar here where they have live band karaoke every week. They have a set list of about 40 some odd songs that they have the words available to show on the screen, while they play to a click track.

They are good enough, tho, that if you know the words, it's likely they can play the song, if its in the rock genre. They may take a moment or tow to work out what key they're gonna do it in... Many folks will use their phones to show the words. Its a challenge for the guys, they do a great job with it.

I try and come up with something different for them when I go, just to mix it up.

I bet someone will want to drum-along.

Check if this is something they want and be sure the decision is in the contract.

Be sure to not use your pristine ambassador batter headed set with your favorite thin constantinople cymbals if they do want to have drummer karaoke!

Drunk wedding drummers should be accommodated if requested ahead of time...but with a cheap set that will not break bank when something gets broken.

Do not flex from the contract if you can't take complete destruction of your equipment.

This is doable, if the karaoke is just for singalongs. The band agrees on a selection of popular songs from its song list, prints the lyrics out and has them available for the guest singers to follow along. I can see where this might actually be pretty fun for both the singers and the band, so long as the people up there singing are respectful, not overly intoxicated, and don't try to do silly rockstar things like cleave the drums in half with a microphone stand.

I would be much less inclined to have folks up to play instruments. As a previous poster said, when you do that you risk your instrument, from dings, scratches and dented heads all the way up to broken gear.

I have a buddy who plays in a band every week that is band karaoke.

Complete with lyrics on a monitor (and plays to a click to sync to monitor), and a computer database of some 400 songs.

Not my thing, but it's a thing these days.

..I bet someone will want to drum-along.

Check if this is something they want and be sure the decision is in the contract..

I never had such a thing in any contract, but if that would happen then the contract would not have my signature and they would play the evening without me being there, thats a fact..

Have any of you been there/done that? How was it?

Yes. Sometimes it's much better than you think it'll be, and sometimes it's awful, and your band needs to keep the party rolling. The trick is to let the guest singer use an additional microphone, and keep your singer nearby so he/she can lead the guest performer back on track, if lyrics/timing/pitch/key/alcohol becomes an issue.

Don't let it kill the dance floor. Bring the next guest-singer side-stage before the previous song is over. Plan ahead who will sing what song, and keep the action happening. One and done.

We have done it, and sometimes it goes well. We have always been tipped well, people really appreciate singing or playing with the band. People make videos and send them to their friends and family, post things on Facebook. People have traveled long distances to come to our shows, and follow the band around for months.

I never had such a thing in any contract, but if that would happen then the contract would not have my signature and they would play the evening without me being there, thats a fact..

I'll second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth that. You're opening a nasty can of worms there and risking some serious falling outs with band members even entertaining something like this, they're paying you to play that's it. If they want to be funny about it, refund any deposit and explain that you're a wedding band not a karaoke/open mic service.

If the whole band are totally cool do it but I doubt many working musicians would be ok with randomers using their instruments. When something gets broke who's paying for it? I do weddings to make money not have to put money aside just in case some random piss artist breaks something.

We get people trying to take the mick all the time, silly requests like this. I really mean this in the nicest way, don't let yourself be walked on! You'll find 10/10 that they won't pay for any extras which is why we have contracts which say this is what you're paying for and this is what we do.

If they want a karaoke as well as a band, there's tonnes of karaoke guys around for hire. I don't think the majority of the wedding guests would appreciate an hour of tone deaf singing, they can stay in and watch the x-factor if they want that!

Vocal karaoke maybe...instrument karaoke? No chance!

If you're going to do it ,definitely have them singing on a second mic - and definitely don't have it in your monitors! My singer often points his mic at the crowd to 'join in' and the drunken screaming is downright painful through my in-ears!
As someone else said....the bride may think it'd be fun,but are the rest of the guests going to enjoy an hour of out of tune wailing??

Thats what DJs are for, if they want Karaoke, get a Karaoke act/service.

Trying to do it with a band gets far too messy,

Last minute key changes of songs
People annoyed they're not asked
Asking for stupid songs (eg "This is me" a huge production number to a Guitar/Bass/Drums combo)
People wanting to play instruments etc.

Key changes can throw any musician and it shows the band in a poor light....no matter how great you are in the original key. The audience only see you fumbling to find the key the karaoke singer is actually in...;-)

Stay well clear or hire a DJ friend to provide this, after the band or even during the Champagne reception perhaps?

One or two pre-arranged songs (with the key decided beforehand) is fine, an hour long Karaoke set isn't going to work, first time out, for any band. Its just a needless distraction to the whole event.

Cheers
Mick

Just wanted to give an update on this. The wedding gig went really well. The bride had her friends choose the songs in advance, and the band had a separate rehearsal to brush up/learn a few. The songs they chose were:

Sunny (the bride singing this to her new husband, but changing the name)
Don't Stop (Journey)
Miss You (Stones)
Uptown Funk
F* You (Ceelo Green)
Jungle Love (Steve Miller)
Smooth (Santana)
Moondance
Hard to Handle
Lady Marmalade

I have say, it went really well. First, each person knew the song, and there really weren't any major screw ups. They'd done their homework. Second, some of the singers were really good...perhaps "ringers", as our band singer suggested. Third, the response from their friends in the audience was incredibly enthusiastic. It was for sure a highlight of the night. I could see why the bride wanted to do it. I would also say the bride, after the gig, gave us a great review, and on top of everything actually mailed the band a tip. And this is for a good-paying wedding gig to begin with.

I know this could have gone quite the other way had we not brushed up on a few of their choices, and had they not learned the song, but it was quite a success for the bride and her friends, so that works for me.

PS - the bride/groom were in their 20's, I think, and so were their friends (or possibly some in early 30's) so it's good to know some of our set list which has songs from decades ago were CHOSEN by their guests!

Actually sounds pretty damn fun! Nice job pulling that off, couldn't have been easy.

Thanks! You know what's funny? We can't get all members for many rehearsals anymore, but for THIS, everyone was on board to rehearse, and work this stuff out...we didn't even KNOW Jungle Love until this gig. The guitar player had chords written out...we all went over each part, etc. No one wanted to screw up and humiliate ourselves or a guest singer at the wedding.

Thanks! You know what's funny? We can't get all members for many rehearsals anymore, but for THIS, everyone was on board to rehearse, and work this stuff out...we didn't even KNOW Jungle Love until this gig. The guitar player had chords written out...we all went over each part, etc. No one wanted to screw up and humiliate ourselves or a guest singer at the wedding.

They call that rising to the occasion my friend, excellent!

This sounds absolutely horrendous for the band (if it's a regular thing) and the audience.

Glad to hear it worked out well.

We have inadvertently and in involuntarily accidentally done karaoke night with the band. Typically it starts with some half-drunk person, typically a woman, rushing up to the stage demanding the mic as soon as something they know comes on - typically "I Will Survive," by Gloria Gaynor. This trips a chain reaction where other people want their turn in the spotlight. We've tolerated it to a degree, but overall it's discouraged by our bandleader, and IMO it's not a good precedent to set.

The problem is that everyone (non musicians) thinks they are awesome when they are singing in the shower, or in their car on the way to or from work, but mix in a live setting, nerves, a different acoustic setting than a shower or car, no real knowledge of mic technique or using monitors, on top of the fact that they aren't nearly as good as they think they are, or don't really know all the words or song form like they thought they did, and it's a recipe for embarrassment for the hapless guy or gal who is trying to impress everyone.

This thread just makes me think "ugh!" It's something I'd avoid if I were you and there was a tactful way to not have to do it, but if the bride is insisting upon it, you have two choices:

1.) Suck it up and do it to get the gig and earn the check
2.) Let the gig go to another band willing to do that

Back