Is your floor full of fine woodchips from the hi-hat?

nope.

Ahead Sticks.

why ?

i hate wood chips.

(among other reasons).

Wood Sticks Is Stupid.

sounds like you guys are a bunch of lumberjacks! ;)

I don't have a problem. I play, my sticks wear out, I vacuum, I buy new sticks. No problem.

nope.

Ahead Sticks.

why ?

i hate wood chips.

(among other reasons).

Wood Sticks Is Stupid.

every time I have messed with those it has felt like hitting a baseball with a cracked bat .....horrible....all sorts of bending and undesirable vibrations

and plastic has no tone

those things should be outlawed in my opinion

:)

I get it under my crashes and under my hi-hats. Surprisingly, I'm not a hard hitter.

I used to have this, but over years lowered hi hat, playing a little more on top, less chopping into it.
Also I am certain it has to do with grade/type of wood.
Maple is pretty bad for chipping.
In hickory, Vaters are stronger than ProMark. Not 'better' just a different density of hickory.
Actually some of the most rugged hickory I find to be Los Cabos (Canadian brand, ya a real Canadian name eh?).

I stopped having the problem when I began using smaller bottom cymbals 14/13; 13/12. I started that because I liked the pitch variation much better, especially with foot work. The side benefit was stick saving. It's the bottom cymbal sliding forward which causes most of the damage, usually.

I think it's more from rimshots than from my hihat, but yes, my rug is full of wood chips. It's one of the reasons I never play barefoot, because those hickory splinters are painful as hell!

I think it's more from rimshots than from my hihat, but yes, my rug is full of wood chips. It's one of the reasons I never play barefoot, because those hickory splinters are painful as hell!

I just can't get acceptable control on the pedals with bare feet. And they are darn cold in the winter!

Yep. My sticks look like a beaver has been at them. I use the edge a lot for rock. Real washy, and anywhere in between allows me to change the feel of the song IMO.

No, but I break a lot of sticks, perhaps because I'm currently buying fairly modestly priced sticks.

An interesting first though for me last Saturday....I was playing a hell-raising song on my ride (most of my stuff is played on ride as it happens) and a stick actually 'exploded'....literally it shattered about half way up and spread a load of shards into the air.

Bass player looked at me and mouthed "what the fuck"....

I was left with literally half a stick with a sharp edge in my right hand....

As a point of interest is there any action you can take to protect against sticks snapping....a single later of gaffa tape around the lower half of them or something would work ???

I stopped having the problem when I began using smaller bottom cymbals 14/13; 13/12. I started that because I liked the pitch variation much better, especially with foot work. The side benefit was stick saving. It's the bottom cymbal sliding forward which causes most of the damage, usually.

that makes sense.

Back