Anyone else notice?

I'm sort of used to things not being exact, but really, except for the most egregious inconsistencies, how many non-musicians would notice?

One exception to the norm is That Thing You Do, in which you really believe Tom Everett Scott is a drummer, and actually knows the parts he's playing to. I've seen the movie maybe 20 times, and have yet to find a gaff in his performance. Whoever coached him did a great job, and he's obviously an eager student. Behind the kit, he looks more like a drummer than I do!

Bermuda

I LOVE that movie!
I love when Tom goes down to his basement, throws on a jazz record, and grooves away. He looks so hip playing like that, so musical and cool. Plus does he remind you a bit of Stewart Copeland? He sure does to me!

Drumline. I was so stoked to see it being a drumline guy at the time and that Nick Cannon ruined it! We hear flam five pataflaflas and we see double strokes ha

You mean drummers actually watched that movie? I thought it was just for laughing at the trailer, just like those teen dance movies. No?

I also notice the cheesy playing they do in TV shows. They just throw up extras behind the instruments to be the "band" and they just look goofy. Nothing's funnier than watching someone try to "be" a drummer based on their own idea of what a drummer does with no instruction.. haha.. sticks flapping at air with their arms extended all the way up not actually making contact with anything.. jeez.. so fake! ha..

Tim Meadows does some pretty decent faking in Walk Hard, The Dewey Cox Story. Won’t fool too many drummers, but he’s pretty accurate for a complete faker.

Irritated by it since I was a child.

For those old enough to remember when music video was a new thing, there really was no other way to see how a drummer played besides attending a concert or watching a music video. When i was 15 years old, concerts were a special occasion, so I had to rely on watching the band's music video to see how a drummer played something.

Nothing was more annoying than getting fired up to see the video and get to watch the drummer play so I could decipher a lick, only to have the drumming visuals not sync up to the music at all. So much for that!

Or, worse yet, having the camera on the guitarist sticking his tongue out or something and not showing the drummer at all. It seems like that happened even more often, where the big drum fill came and you got nothing.

Thank the stars for YouTube.

You mean drummers actually watched that movie? I thought it was just for laughing at the trailer, just like those teen dance movies. No?

Well our high school drumline was like family when that came out so yes, we were young naive and excited to see it...and very bummed after

Some of the old 1970s music videos were bad - I mean really BAD. Even with a real drummer playing along to the original song, the timing was entirely mismatched and you realize there is no way they are reproducing the sound from the recording. They are just sitting there trying to look pretty for the camera.

Yes, it's annoying to a certain degree, especially when you hear the ride cymbal and the drummer plays the hi-hat, so unrealistic.

Yes, it's annoying to a certain degree, especially when you hear the ride cymbal and the drummer plays the hi-hat, so unrealistic.

had that happen to me in one of my bands music videos back in 2004 or 5

we filmed it in LA and it was paid for by the label then edited and released before we returned from tour .....I was pissed when I saw it

you can see evidence of this quite a few times in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTOJ-sVsGI

peep the 70s Luddys :)

had that happen to me in one of my bands music videos back in 2004 or 5

we filmed it in LA and it was paid for by the label then edited and released before we returned from tour .....I was pissed when I saw it

you can see evidence of this quite a few times in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTOJ-sVsGI

peep the 70s Luddys :)

Haha.. yes, I can see why you were pissed :)

Cool song, and despite the "mistake", a cool video, you rock man :)

Yeah, I dig the Ludwig, very nice indeed...

Back