What's your favorite cover (maybe limit to 2-3 songs) that your band plays right now?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
A couple songs that I'm really enjoying right now that our band plays are as follows:

Kenny Chesney's "Anything but Mine." We have our vocals dialed in on this one, and I like everything about this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6c8a90PWIM

Nitty Gritty Dirtband's "Fishin' in the Dark." Our vocals are sounding good here as well. We actually end the song the same way they do it live here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3ml8gzrd4

How about you? What are a few covers you are enjoying these days?

My bands just recorded a cover of Madonna's 'Material Girl' a few weeks ago in the studio, it'll be released over the coming months so I'll have to say that. When the band suggested covering it I thought they were joking but it's worked out ok after we all worked on it.

It's faster and heavier and has an ending 'flurry' similar to My Generation.

Other than that I enjoy the other cover we do. A slightly faster version of Paul Simon's 'The Boy in a Bubble' as its a nice shuffle and I like the song/lyrics in general.

Vertigo - U2
La Grange - ZZ Top
Dirty Water - Standells
Middle Of The Road - Pretenders

Could name a lot more, I like playing the hits!

Bermuda

The only cover we do is Godzilla. But much more in the FuManchu fashion than the original BOC version. Pretty good jam, and its a sneaky song. Nobody knows what it is until the chorus, then the light bulbs come on and everybody is singing along.

For me it always changes. I do an open mic every week and see a LOT of covers go by as we play.

For a while we were covering "The Funeral" by Band of Horses and I really dug that song.

Also the nurse who loved me (failure) is another recent one I was into a lot.

Pass The Peas by The JBs

House Party by Fred Wesley

Our trombonist worships Fred Wesley and is a bloody good player.

Vertigo - U2
La Grange - ZZ Top
Dirty Water - Standells
Middle Of The Road - Pretenders

Could name a lot more, I like playing the hits!

Bermuda

I love playing La Grange, it always gets a great reaction because every recognizes it even if they don't know it's by ZZ Top.

We do "Play That Funky Music" usually late in the set when people are... chemically speaking, more likely to dance. Usually a great time.

I love it when we do "Santeria" by Sublime, usually because of the mild shock value.

My #1 at this point is Middle Of The Road, by The Pretenders. I see it's on Bermuda's list also. We have a harp player in one band I play with who kills on that tune. The tune just rocks and the drum part is a lot of fun. Really gets me pumped up.

My favorite covers we play
Joe Bonamassa (Sam Brown cover) Stop!
Toto Georgy Porgy
Slade Coz I luv you

We just went from a 5-piece to a 3-piece, with all of us singing..

Ring of Fire__Social Distortion version (I finally get to SING!!)
N.I.B__Black Sabbath
Figure it out__Royal Blood

Almost forgot I love playing that Dire song "money for nothing" I think it's called? The MTV one. You even get to dork out with the really stupid rolls at the start if the guys cooperate.

We use to do Etta James "At Last" with this small jazz group-the singer was just fabulous. It's such a soulful dripping with feel song she sang it so well-give me chill bumps. The bass player was the singers' husband and he helped me playing it-which with his help I'd nail it. We'd get asked to play it again a lot.

We use to do Etta James "At Last" with this small jazz group-the singer was just fabulous. It's such a soulful dripping with feel song she sang it so well-give me chill bumps. The bass player was the singers' husband and he helped me playing it-which with his help I'd nail it. We'd get asked to play it again a lot.

Certain songs like this one, "Oh Darlin'" or things like Joplin really depend on a good singer to bring them home. Doesn't matter how well you play songs like these if the singer messes it up... On the other hand, it's pretty great when it works!

I like playing the hits also.

We play the 80's genre and I like the Bon Jovi stuff because our vocalist does a great job.

As far as drums, I like playing Panama as long as we get successfully past the intro :)

I also like the Def Leppard stuff because the drums are the loudest thing in the mix. The processed snare takes up 1/3 of the song :)

..My bands just recorded a cover of Madonna's 'Material Girl' a few weeks ago in the studio, it'll be released over the coming months so I'll have to say that..

Are you allowed by the band to post that cover here when is finished..?

Would be very curious to hear that one..

Back