double bass - weak leg is better than strong side

bud7h4

Silver Member
Anyone else's weak side have more speed and endurance than your strong side? I'm right handed, and my right side works the pedal slightly better as far as dynamics and double strokes, but for straight 16ths and sustained single stroke double bass, my left ankle is a machine. It's my right side that's the weak link in my double bass playing above 190 bpm or so.

Since the action in my left ankle is so good, the pedal essentially does all the work, whereas by comparison I'm using too much energy, too many muscles in my right leg to keep up with the left and I'm not getting the most out of the pedal.

I guess there's not really a question here, just thinking out loud. Just wondering how common this might be.

Last edited:
I have some of this too-even though I use a single. In the car, I am always tapping patterns with my left foot. Easy as pie. Right side is easy too, but on the drum, it's maybe digging in more than necessary to get things out/across whatever...

It seems as though "you just do it" with the left foot, but the right foot is "working" to do patterns. Not hard, but not the same as the other side, like the right side isn't as relaxed as the left. That's what I've come up with anyway.

Almost the same thing here. My right foot is good for power and controlling doubles, but my left foot has more control doing straight 8ths. I always thought it was because the left foot gets a lot of practice doing straight 8ths when playing beats on the ride.

Similar experience here, but that may also be because I'm right-handed but left-footed..

Dutch

Can't say I've ever had this problem, but I did work really hard on my right foot early on so it was always going to be the strong one. I've spent years trying to improve my left foot though so I guess I'm the other way round to you!

I go through periods when my weak side is better. I think my left is uneducated, where my right side has learned all kinds of things, maybe the muscle memory interferes with what I'm trying to pick up. That said, after a while, my right side will catch up and eventually exceed the left, I guess once the new muscle memory sets in.

Sounds about like what I experienced as well.
It's gotten better for me with control exercises like playing paradiddles and sixteenth note combinations with my feet.

I too experienced the same thing. Now both of my legs don't play much faster than 180, if I'm lucky. I don't really play a whole lot of straight 16th notes on double bass anymore.

Back