Drummer Apps for the iPhone?

Wopsey

Hey everyone, I know this is a popular topic, having seen one or two of these threads in the past. Unfortunately my efforts of google searches have left me questioning which app is truly worth investing in / will help create good habits rather than bad.

Looking for a good metronome, free or otherwise. Although if it costs some money I'd love to hear your personal experience with said app.

Also wondering if there's an educational app with access to various resources / ebooks.

Drunguru is really nice, lots of lessons, some free and others at a cost.

Rudidrum is a nice snare rudiment app. I don't remember if it's free or not.

Tempo is a nice metronome app that lets you save set lists.

The Benny Greb drum trainer is nice, but I think it's about $8 or so.

I like LiveBPM. If you think you don't need a metronome, LiveBPM will prove you wrong. Or maybe it won't :)

My go to iPhone metronome has always been Subdivision 'cause it's really easy to use no frills etc and you can, as the name suggests, set up different subdivisions for practice.

I recently got Tempo Advance because it was recommended on the internet somewhere (and Mike Mangini endorsed). I've not got into using it yet but apparently you can program polyrhythms and set lists with it.

The metronome apps Ive tried (although they are free and only windows 8) dont run in time, its like they seem to lag. There isnt a constant pulse.

Can the phone have any effect on that or is the app just garbage?

There's loads of drum apps out there... these are my 3 go to apps I find myself using all the time and recommending to students.

Tempo - for basic metronome function including choice of subdivision

Anytune - Allows you to slow down audio and make loops of sections without altering the pitch. Handy for learning tricky parts of songs etc.

Groove Scribe - Mike Johnston's web browser based app that allows you to transcribe a few bars of groove/fill and then plays it back. You can slow it down, speed it up add notes etc. Really useful!

I made a video running through some of the features of the above. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY3CEAvg27U&t=14s

Back