Acrolite

Seems like a good deal for a Blacrolite (aka Acrolite w/the Black Galaxy finish). That thing is priced to sell. Not a super uber smokin' deal, but I doubt it'll last long. Great drum, too.

Seems like a good deal for a Blacrolite (aka Acrolite w/the Black Galaxy finish). That thing is priced to sell. Not a super uber smokin' deal, but I doubt it'll last long. Great drum, too.

I would agree here. I've got an acrolite from the sixties and love it (paid $100 for it on Ebay). I'm not sure if there is much difference in the later one's though. For $70.00 you can't hardly lose if it's in good condition.

Last edited:
That's some really swinging stuff there Jeff, hot band, sweet playing!. Rock around the clock shows the Acro off nicely.

I would agree here. I've got an acrolite from the sixties and love it.

Ditto. Mine left the assembly line on July 8th, 1967. It just turned 44 years old this summer and still sounds superb! The newer model you're looking at probably has a somewhat heavier-gauge shell than the vintage ones, but I'm sure it will sound good (especially with those 2.3mm hoops). For $70 I would definitely jump on it.

My first "good" snare drum ...

Mine came as you see it with the bag and stand in un-played condition (it was $100.00 for everything as I remember), as stated it can be used in about any situation.
This one gets used weekly at our little blues jam gig with my Sonor Safari kit in their version of "Black Galaxy" finish.

PERFECT ...

AcroliteSonor.jpg

I have one that I recently bought off CL for a hundred bucks. Looks exactly like the one pictured above and had the case, practice pad, sticks, stand, and a couple books.

$70. seems like a decent price for just the drum.

That's some really swinging stuff there Jeff, hot band, sweet playing!. Rock around the clock shows the Acro off nicely.

Thanks - I appreciate it. Most of the CD was done with my Yamaha Stage Customs that I used for the Glenn Miller tour. I did use a few of my Maple Custom toms for a track or two such as Montego Bay, but most of it was recorded with mid-line drums. I guess I used them instead of the Maple Customs because I was playing the Stage Customs all the time and really got the sound that I wanted. I used the Ludwig snare on all the tracks.

I saw Virgil Donati in clinic a while back. Pearl had him play a mid-line set to show just how good they could sound with proper technique and good tuning skills.

Jeff

I overpaid a bit for my Blacrolite ($150) as I was just getting back in the game at that point and did not realize but it was worth it. It sounds fantastic and I prefer it to the 60's and 70's versions of the drum I picked up later on for a lot less dough.

If I needed a snare, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Peace and goodwill.

Nice sounding tunes Jeff. Had it on while working in the office...nice...

Thanks - I appreciate it. And another thing about the drum on te recording - the sound engineer was great. He didn't ask me to change the sound or dampen it. So what you are hearing on the recording is a very good representation of what the drum sounds like.

Jeff

Back