Country Drummers

country does seem to get a bad rap around here.

i prefer the older country. 1920s - early 80's, but the current crop of artists certainly have some chops. and the songwriting is stellar. unfortunately like in all genres there is a lot of jumping on the bandwagon and yes, hacks.

The only 2 ways I know how to do train beats is either individually stroked double stroke rolls with the 2 strokes of the non starting hand accented, (r r L L r r L L r r L L r r L L) or, more commonly, single stroke 16th notes with the accent on the AND. (r l R l r l R l r l R l r l R l)

Yeah I pretty much feel most comfy doing it with single stroked 16th's, it's just fast and and long and I lose it after a few measures but practice ,practice, practice. Thanks

I had the opportunity to hang out with Rich Redmond, drummer for Country star Jason Aldean this past weekend in Reno, NV. Rich invited me to come in and watch soundcheck, then tour his kit and take a few pics. He started yelling, "bang that thing, bang it" but I was so damn nervous I just couldn't even think straight! Yes, I regret that already....

We then watched his show and this guy is a true showman! Very energetic show with some awesome drumming!!! He may not be your favorite but he is one of mine. He is one of the most accessable musicians and this guy comes from a drum/educational background and he seriously works hard to give back and help others be their best, be it drumming or not. Fantastic drummer, even a better guy.

Very few people here play - or admit to playing - country. Which is strange, because it's the most-listened-to genre in the US. Music with very low listenership - like metal and jazz - are the main topics of discussion here. What most of the musicians here want to play has very little to do with what the overwhelming majority of listeners want to here. Go figure.

Oh there's some great country music. My favorite non drumming music to listen to is Bluegrass. I agree that most of the new Country is a joke, with some real standouts, but as a genre, it's very important and shouldn't be discounted. I'm proud to have played in Country bands. It took me places I never would have gone. I have many great memories from those years. Plus there are just some stellar players, and the songwriting is about stuff I can personally relate to. I know this because I can understand what is being sung about lol.

I had the opportunity to hang out with Rich Redmond, drummer for Country star Jason Aldean this past weekend in Reno, NV. Rich invited me to come in and watch soundcheck, then tour his kit and take a few pics. He started yelling, "bang that thing, bang it" but I was so damn nervous I just couldn't even think straight! Yes, I regret that already....

We then watched his show and this guy is a true showman! Very energetic show with some awesome drumming!!! He may not be your favorite but he is one of mine. He is one of the most accessable musicians and this guy comes from a drum/educational background and he seriously works hard to give back and help others be their best, be it drumming or not. Fantastic drummer, even a better guy.

Rich IS a great guy! When I moved to Nashville, he helped me find a place to stay! He was also the only person to call me and tell me to stay positive! If you get a chance, check out his motivational drum clinic, Crash Course for Success!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

Very few people here play - or admit to playing - country. Which is strange, because it's the most-listened-to genre in the US. Music with very low listenership - like metal and jazz - are the main topics of discussion here. What most of the musicians here want to play has very little to do with what the overwhelming majority of listeners want to here. Go figure.

But you gotta take into account that not everyone here lives or is from the US.

But you gotta take into account that not everyone here lives or is from the US.
Which brings me to the question, probably a British ignorant one, but are the Dixie Chicks considered country? It is because of Greg Morrow's drumming that I listened to them, man that guy can groove. I then purchased another album where Chad Smith plays and was disappointed, the whole album sounded more rock than the Greg Morrow album. Both drummers played similar grooves but Greg's drumming just sat better with the band.

Which brings me to the question, probably a British ignorant one, but are the Dixie Chicks considered country? It is because of Greg Morrow's drumming that I listened to them, man that guy can groove. I then purchased another album where Chad Smith plays and was disappointed, the whole album sounded more rock than the Greg Morrow album. Both drummers played similar grooves but Greg's drumming just sat better with the band.

yes they are.

hjgvuytu

Check out Jason aldean. More CPU truism but rockin ay the same time.

I like it because it nevr irritates. Like on the way to work, at 6 am, I don't like metal or rap but country is good.

Also check out Eric church. Put a drink in my hand. Sweet tune.

I've played in a country band for about three years now (I'm currently on hiatus). I don't listen to country music normally, but if you want to play regularly in my area (and get paid decently), you had better be able to play it!

One thing I learned is that country drumming is mostly about feel. There are some songs that show off chops, but in my experience the are actually the easier ones to play. The hardest are the ones in which the drum part is simplistic but the feel is crucial - it takes a lot of concentration and a serious lack of ego.

Consider this song. The beat is totally simple, but I can't tell you how many people I've heard play it poorly. It comes out like a generic rock beat if you aren't careful.
http://youtu.be/oS1NfjLkdSM

I was raised on metal and played many a metal gig.
Now that I've taken a 3 year break and have decided to start playing seriously again, I'm wanting to get heavier.

Then I get a phone call. My girlfriends mom and dad play in a country band and their drummer is in another band. They've been turning down gigs when the drummer plays with his other band and would like to play more. They asked if I would set in.
I never EVER considered playing country in my life. I have a funny feeling this may be a good learning experience. I have to admit I don't want it to turn into gigging all the time because I'd rather persue a progressive metal gig, but on the other hand this could be a good experience.

I know I'll hafta learn the train thang and a few other countryish patterns. The hardest part will be restraint, proper dynamics, and laying off the rimshots.
But yea there is some modern country I don't mind. There's also a lot of it that's somewhat pop/rock. Like 8 Second Ride by Jake owen and Beer on The Table by Josh Thompson that's catchy.

Thanks. So are they considered good country or more on the pop side?

I gave the Zac Brown Band a listen after Toolate's recommendation and quite liked some of it, but country as a genre is a world pretty much undiscovered to me.

it's definitely modern country. i'm not sure if that translates to "the pop side". their musicianship and vocals are highly respected. i don't think many consider them to be just jumping on the bandwagon.

Although not a huge country fan I have played it before. Personally I would not pursue a staedy gig with a country band but it is a nice change. I have taken pride in the fact that I have not limited myself to just one specific genre, this has kept me playing out frequently for many years. Not knocking anyone who does either, just saying I have not limited myself. Today's country music tends to border on rock/pop rock depending who you are listening to, it does tend to make country drumming a little more challenging than from some of the older standards.

I love playing country music when I get a chance to. It depends on the crowds and what they want to hear. I'd apparently show up at a casual expecting to play one thing and end up doing something completely different. I'm so glad I didn't voice my opinion and just played what was required. I didn't realize how hard that country shuffle can be when you're actually in the hotseat having to hold the band together. It's hard. Or playing using a brush in your hi-hat hand and doing a cross-stick in the other. All very subtle things but difficult to do because you're not always bashing or playing so fast no one can tell if you're making any mistakes.

I like playing classic country stuff (it's akin to being a good old skool bop drummer, I think) as opposed to alot of the newer stuff. Most of the venues I play in aren't hip to the new stuff anyway. So, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, that era of artists would be the country I'd most likely be playing.

I played in a country band from 1984-1989 and we were always booked in the better local clubs.

Our library spanned from 1950's until what would of been top 40 at that time. Though I have not played in a country band since, I had a blast playing it and learned a lot from doing it.

Back