ebay experiences

grooveweapon

Have you all had good experiences purchasing used equipment on ebay from private parties? I've been waiting for a ride cymbal to arrive, but the guy is being really dodgy telling me that he actually was selling the cymbal for his friend and that his friend was supposed to ship it out. All I asked for was a tracking# and I haven't even gotten that. It's almost been 2 weeks since I won the auction and I haven't been told that it has been shipped. I'm trying to hesitate on contacting ebay because perhaps the guy really is busy like he says...but it should be a priority to ship out a product once you have received payment. Have you guys had any experiences like this and how did you handle them?

I have had mostly good experiences, bad communication is very annoying though, give it 1 more week and if you don't hear anything contact ebay to help resolve the issue. I trust ebay and I love shopping around on there.

I have had only good experiences but haven't bought as much as some have. If you haven't heard anything yet, email the guy. If you still don't get a response, contact ebay. Good luck.

Once you open a "dispute" thru eBay/PayPal, most cats come to their senses fairly quick, and you get your item.

give it no more than two weeks before taking action..

make contact with him and tell him clearly that you will open a dispute with paypal in two weeks.

dont get angry or threaten him.

when the time is up, make the dispute and trust that paypal are pretty damned good :)

its happened to me before once. worked out ok, got my money back.

rare but it happens.

All good advice up to this point.

I have had mixed experiences with Ebay. I now go by the dictum: "Buy the seller first." You might have to pay more in the short term, but iun the long term you will get what you buy. Just one bad deal can negate a fist full of great deals.

Indeed, I am more likely to support my local, independent music store and pay 5-10% more in order to support a long term, customer service oriented relationship.

GJS

You should act immediately, 2 weeks is outrageous.
Send an email stating that you have been waiting patiently...etc. etc. But that your patience has run out and if said Seller does not ship out the product immediately and email a tracking number, then you will proceed to take further action via ebay management.

Ask yourself this. He/she wasn't too busy to list the item, but when it comes time to ship all of a sudden they are too busy. This guy sounds like a real piece of sh*&.
Did you check his/her feedback rating before you bid on the item?
You should have, no matter how appealing an item may seem, if the ebayer has crappy feedback then you should resist the temptation. Nothing is worth this.

You should act immediately, 2 weeks is outrageous.
Send an email stating that you have been waiting patiently...etc. etc. But that your patience has run out and if said Seller does not ship out the product immediately and email a tracking number, then you will proceed to take further action via ebay management.

Ask yourself this. He/she wasn't too busy to list the item, but when it comes time to ship all of a sudden they are too busy. This guy sounds like a real piece of sh*&.
Did you check his/her feedback rating before you bid on the item?
You should have, no matter how appealing an item may seem, if the ebayer has crappy feedback then you should resist the temptation. Nothing is worth this.

I agree. My wife sells stuff on Ebay and always makes sure that we are around when the listings end. not away on vacation or something. the buyer comes first and you need to take action now.

In my 130 purchases of the years, I've had mostly great experiences, one difficult one, and one really bad one. Most ebay sellers in my experience are really good people, but then it only takes one total a-hole to ruin your day.

I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to wait. Especially if he stated on the page, like many auctions do, that he would ship it within a certain time period. Hopefully you paid with Paypal, because then you can open a dispute. In the really bad experience I had, the guy sold me some hihats that he said were "like new, right out of the package." Well, when I got them they were totally scratched up. He refused to take them back, so I opened a Paypal dispute; within 2 weeks I had a full refund.

You've been more than patient. Tell him if you don't receive tracking info within a few days that you will open a dispute. Like Harry says, that'll get some results.

I buy and sell lots of stuff on ebay but NEVER, EVER, USE PAYPAL! I don't even know where to start on those ignorant crooks. Ebay rocks/paypal sucks!

You have no choice, ebay owns paypal and now that is the only way they will let you do it.

Once you open a "dispute" thru eBay/PayPal, most cats come to their senses fairly quick, and you get your item.

Alright I warned him for a couple of days that I would file a dispute if I wasn't given a tracking number by today...After all, even if it is his friend that is shipping the item, it is HIS responsibility to make sure his friend takes action, not mine. Still didn't get a tracking number, just another empty promise. I opened up a Paypal dispute. I also contacted two people that he has made transactions with in the past, both who left positive feedback (although one said slow shipping) in hopes that I would get good info on him. This guy has 100% feedback and that's over 300 transactions, at least 30 or 40 as a seller. One transaction was very recent (within the last week). Hopefully these people can give me some more confidence that I will actually get my product.

This is why you shouldn't do Ebay transactions for friends. If they want to sell something, they should sign up with their own account. They may have no feedback, but it will make the process go a lot quicker.

I buy and sell lots of stuff on ebay but NEVER, EVER, USE PAYPAL! I don't even know where to start on those ignorant crooks. Ebay rocks/paypal sucks!

I don't use Ebay or Paypal very often, but I did have one negative experience with Paypal when I bought a used kit from a guy on the East Coast. I had deposited about $600 from my bank account in my Paypal knowing that I might buy a kit, but thinking that I might wait too. As you know, it takes a few days for your funds to reach your Paypal. In that period of time, I bought a $1800 kit off Ebay, knowing that I had just enough funds between my Paypal account AND bank account to cover the costs. Instead, Paypal took an ADDITIONAL $1800 from my bank account rather than counting the funds I had deposited, since they hadn't actually "cleared."

Long story short, I knew it would overdraft, so I called Paypal and talked to a lady about reversing or postponing the transaction until the $600 cleared. This lady was a total B! I understand I was a bit frustrated and new to the situation but she totally handled it wrong telling me that I was basically an idiot for doing what I did. So I learned a lesson! Customer service can be harsh but it is always worth it to keep trying...

By the way I borrowed my money and deposited it in my account before the Paypal withdrew the $1800 so I ended up ok :)

Back