When the Drummer Dies, the Drum Dies Too

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Drum dies with drummer
By Pamodhi Kuruppu
Sunday, 20 July 2014 00:00

0bc61c82c8de1c9c20f0a5c1a7bac6b7_M.jpg

It is exciting to see another drumming. It is a pleasure to listen and admire an expert drummer’s improvisations. It is mysterious and will always be a mystery. I learned that drum is like heartbeat, the breath, the rain and thunder. There is blood pulled in and out the capillaries of hands that touch it’s taut membrane. There is big noise at once, lowered again and runs fast touching the tip of notes and slowly drifts putting a halt to the show.

Drums are fascinating; drummers are a spellbinding creation for me. For example, the drummer will always know the notes by heart and for the listeners, some beats are unforgettable.

I learned that one drummer‘s style cannot be followed by another. It’s always different.

Above everything when the drummer dies, the drum dies too. Because only a drummer will know his beats and the degree of pace to keep with his companions.

Full Story

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

In case I haven't told you lately, I really like the stuff you have been posting Scott. It's a real breath of fresh air. Thank you.

I told my wife that if we have a bunch of rotten kids who have no interest in music then I want my favorite drum "Richard the Red" cremated with me.

larryace -

Thank you. I appreciate drums, cymbals, and the rest of it as well as the next drummer. But I've never thought of drum equipment as the essence of drumming. Drumming is its own language. These days, more than ever, I am interested in drumming as a way of communicating, of telling stories. And the drummers I gravitate toward are great communicators, story tellers. Whether they communicate using the world's best drumset or with a pair of wire brushes and a folded newspaper - it doesn't matter to me.

Best,
Scott K Fish

I'm not sure if I'm looking too deep into this or not deep enough.

But it's a good message, we're all unique and no one can replicate what you play exactly. So when you're gone it's all gone for good. Sure there's your instruments, those you've taught and recordings of your playing, but you can never capture the musical voice of that person.

I regret not seeing some artists live when I could have, even if it would only be a snap shot of who they really were as a musician.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I appreciate drums, cymbals, and the rest of it as well as the next drummer. But I've never thought of drum equipment as the essence of drumming. Drumming is its own language. These days, more than ever, I am interested in drumming as a way of communicating, of telling stories. And the drummers I gravitate toward are great communicators, story tellers. Whether they communicate using the world's best drumset or with a pair of wire brushes and a folded newspaper - it doesn't matter to me.

In some cultures, the drums themselves are sacred and the players are merely keepers of that sanctity in their playing.

Back