Bad hi-hat recording

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Its very rare that I listen to a song and can pin point specific things that sound wrong to me. Im not usually that analytical. However, on the new Seether record the hi-hat sound is terrible. Bad enough that I noticed it right away and when I pointed it out to my wife she could even hear it.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3u5gbNO7zo

Listen to the verses and tell me if Im crazy.

Leo

well not my kind of sound either. they sound like really thick 14's, played open. yuk for me... but i've heard that in other music.

You say 'my wife' ...."could even hear it" - meaning wives don't normally hear stuff?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the mix...I can see why you might not like the sound, but recording and everything else seems okay to me.

well not my kind of sound either. they sound like really thick 14's, played open. yuk for me... but i've heard that in other music.

You say 'my wife' ...."could even hear it" - meaning wives don't normally hear stuff?

Its the same thing if I asked my dad if he could tell if my drums had more attack if I switch the heads. He's a non drummer and his ears are ignorant of those little sounds.

To answer your question, no because I'm guessing she's a non musician and for her to hear the little stuff is saying something.

I hear nothing odd about the hats. I always assume a band intends for stuff to sound the way it does anyway.

Interesting perspective but the hats sound right to me as well. The song is dark and the hats match the song. Secondly, the sound is what I'm sure they wanted - exactly. The recording is well produced so I doubt the hats were anything other than what was called for.

Back