Size of Drum and Pitch/Tone

My head is beginning to hurt.
Playing a musical instrument other than drums would be so much simpler.

I found this "simple explanation"= http://circularscience.com/about-drums The part about the kettle drum and "Our brain assumes this missing lower note must be present, and hears the complex note as if the missing fundamental was present. This musical psycho-acoustic trickery allows the tympani/kettle drum to appear to make notes at lower note pitch than their physical dimensions can actually support." freaked me out. But makes sense much like you can trick your vision.

Can you imagine what life would be like without the internet? You would have to manually go out and get two differently sized drums and tune them the same and hit them with sticks to find out the difference in sound. How uncivilized!

Good thing we have the internet and can instead just sit back in our comfy chairs and discuss the theoretical physics about how the drum would sound instead of doing all that manual labor. I am thoroughly convinced this method is far superior to how those cretins would have done it in the past.

Back