Intersting article on Beats Headphones

7506 (and GK Ultraphones) are the only phones I use at home, in the studio, and on tour.

Bermuda

On Amazon, the Sony headphones you guys have been mentioning are only $85. It's very tempting.

Anyone use the Vic Firth headphones? I'm interested in those also.

I think those Vic Firth headphones are crap. The drivers aren't very good, and they're too close to your ears in any case. The Vics don't come close to the GK ultra phones. I'd avoid those.

$85 for the Sony's means I'm getting another pair. You can never have too many ;)

The only serious place to get headphone reviews by price range is head-fi.org. I used their buyer's guide to choose my cans and haven't regretted my decision. Check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Oddly enough the Sony's weren't listed there. Still, I'd get the Sony's on Bo's recommendation alone. The price is right and I'm not looking for state of the art, just a really great headphone with good bass.

I inherited a nice sounding pair of phones from my late stepson. Lightyears ahead of my crappy VF headphones. The brand is Steelseries and it uses a USB connector. He used it as a gamer's headphone. It's got really nice bass response, but I have nothing to compare it to. They go for about $100. I could use a few more nice sets of headphones, and at 85 bucks and with both Bo's and Bermuda's blessing, yea that sounds like a great deal. I don't HAVE to spend 200 plus lol.

Oddly enough the Sony's weren't listed there. Still, I'd get the Sony's on Bo's recommendation alone. The price is right and I'm not looking for state of the art, just a really great headphone with good bass.

I inherited a nice sounding pair of phones from my late stepson. Lightyears ahead of my crappy VF headphones. The brand is Steelseries and it uses a USB connector. He used it as a gamer's headphone. It's got really nice bass response, but I have nothing to compare it to. They go for about $100. I could use a few more nice sets of headphones, and at 85 bucks and with both Bo's and Bermuda's blessing, yea that sounds like a great deal. I don't HAVE to spend 200 plus lol.

I would never steer uncle Larry wrong! Or any of my other Drummerworld brethren. Except for maybe Andy ;)

Oddly enough the Sony's weren't listed there.
My last post on here seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, the Sony headphones are on the head-fi.org list, but they are listed on the Budget category (under $75) for some reason.

Just wanted to place my vote for the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. I also have Sony, I forget the model # but it's one step up from the 7506, and those are excellent...but the price hiked from $99 in the late 1990's when I bought them, to over $200? now. Either way, both are built well and are good sounding cans for the lower price point.

Anyone tried these ones?:

Senal SMH - 1000

They get decent reviews on the B & H site, only $89, and I like the fact that they come with two detachable cables - a 10 foot coiled one, and a 3 foot straight one. Tempted to pull the trigger on these....

Note on the Sony 7500 series... If you're going to buy the Sony's, remember to buy a couple pairs of extra ear-muffs when you buy them. They're about $3 per pair. While Sony has likely fixed their black-flake-disintegrating earmuff issue, it's always good to keep a backup set for when shit happens.

Note on the Sony 7500 series... If you're going to buy the Sony's, remember to buy a couple pairs of extra ear-muffs when you buy them. They're about $3 per pair. While Sony has likely fixed their black-flake-disintegrating earmuff issue, it's always good to keep a backup set for when shit happens.

That is definitely a thing with Sonys - but the key is to get Sony pads. A lot of the after market ones that people use Aury, Beyer Dynamic, etc. - negatively alter the sound quality. They’re not sized correctly and cover up the drivers... Then you’ll be in Beats territory :)

Back