Drums, you either have it or you don't...

I think attitude can take you a long way. Like a good work ethic is tied to attitude. If you have the attitude where you really want to work hard and improve, it will take you a long way. Some people don't improve. They reach a certain point and then they stay there it seems.

I started playing when I was 9 years old. My parents bought me a used Pearl Export kit with Sabian cymbals because I've always wanted to play the drums. I immediately found something I was naturally good at. I couldn't wait to get home after school to start playing the drums. After about 5 years my practicing routine would start to slow down and so did my enthusiasm. I didn't play as much anymore. But by then I've played for church bands and family bands. As I entered my high school years I nearly stopped practicing altogether. I started playing lead guitar in a quite successful band. By the time I entered college I sold the drum kit and moved out. A year later(today) I moved back in and am in the market for a new drumkit to start a new, long chapter of drumming in my life. I want to take this as far as I can because I realized it's not a talent I should waste. A lot of my favorite metal drummers have a similar story to mine. The difference is, they didn't slow down and stop their practice routine like I did. Sure, natural ability for drumming is important but if you don't build upon that by practicing consistently then you won't see much improvement, and in my case I "got" behind. So I agree drumming is a talent about having it or not, but after that talent is found if it isn't followed my consistent practice and a love that drives creativity and showmanship then it won't get you much anywhere.

Back