Popcorn Snare Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

<(' . '<)

I am currently looking for a popcorn snare, I never used one but have heard and played on them in stores and want to try one. Either an 8, 10, maybe a 12. I was just wondering if I could get some companies (big or small) who make good ones. I'd like one that is mounted not put on a snare stand.

I personally dislike them so I'd run with a 12 for its versatility.

I was thinking of making myself a 12x7 with a tom mount. You think that may work well?

Probably not much pop to the popcorn. I have a 12x5 1/2 DW that can be tuned up into popcorn territory or tuned down into more general purpose ranges. As a side snare it gives me the option of that Steve Jordan/church crack. Which I keep moving away from on the main snare as I find it one dimensional. Snares tuned like this are harder to work different sounds out of. I've heard folks using the little chrome CB snare to good effect mixed with the rest of the kit.

I was thinking of making myself a 12x7 with a tom mount. You think that may work well?

I would probably do it that way because I could at least use the 12 for something if/when I got over the whole 'popcorn' thing.

Probably not much pop to the popcorn. I have a 12x5 1/2 DW that can be tuned up into popcorn territory or tuned down into more general purpose ranges. As a side snare it gives me the option of that Steve Jordan/church crack. Which I keep moving away from on the main snare as I find it one dimensional. Snares tuned like this are harder to work different sounds out of. I've heard folks using the little chrome CB snare to good effect mixed with the rest of the kit.

Not that big on DW but thanks, I'll probably look at 10's or 12's now. Would 6.5 still sound good or would like a 6" depth be the limit?

I have a PDP 805 6 x 10 maple and really like it. the new name for it is the blackout.

I looked into those before, and I actually like PDP but not DW (doesn't make sense I know). I didn't know they were 805 popcorn's before becoming Blackout's. They need to go back to making 805's they were awesome.

I would probably do it that way because I could at least use the 12 for something if/when I got over the whole 'popcorn' thing.

I wouldn't want to buy or make a 12 just cause I could use it still if I wouldn't use a popcorn anymore. I'd probably just sell the popcorn if I didn't use it, thank's tho.

I don't consider 12 to be a popcorn snare - just a very small snare, but not down into the popcorn range yet.

I play a Pearl Firecracker 10 by 5 maple ply snare on my cocktail kit. It was $100 - a great deal - and I love its sound.

I'll look at one next time I'm at my local store, does it have a mount system or does it need a stand?

I'll look at one next time I'm at my local store, does it have a mount system or does it need a stand?

It is fitted with a standard 3/8" bracket. I think the assumption is that you will mount it off a cymbal or other stand. I don't think a lot of snare stands would even work will with a drum that small, although you could certainly try. See the Tiki Kit thread below to see how I have mine set up. I re-wrapped it to match the kit.

I always use a snare with a mount, any size not just a popcorn. I use a double bass pedal and don't quite care for the ill versatility of a snare on a stand. You have to work around the stand and I don't like it. So I'd mount it to something, Just needed to make sure I could. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back