Please take a moment!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Please go subscribe to the awesome drummer Aaron Edgar! He puts up all sorts of crazy videos about odd time signatures, displacement, metric modulation, odd subdivisions, and all sorts of great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/aaronedgardrum

Aaron is a friend of mine, and as of right now he's only 5 subscribers away from reaching 1000. He just had to leave the computer, and I want him to be over 1000 by the time he comes back. Please help! This is a really exciting time for him!

Done! Really cool stuff thanks!

I looked at part of the video and to me, in a short amount of time, it's very likely there could be massive amounts of "keystoning" to the top hi hat and also damage to the plastic bottom cymbal assembly of the hi hat. I wouldn't do this to my equipment, but it could lead to more viewers, if that's what he's after.

Dennis

I looked at part of the video and to me, in a short amount of time, it's very likely there could be massive amounts of "keystoning" to the top hi hat and also damage to the plastic bottom cymbal assembly of the hi hat. I wouldn't do this to my equipment, but it could lead to more viewers, if that's what he's after.

Dennis

Which video are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgvfZTawaI&NR=1

Anyways, SUBSCRIBED

Dennis

It could eventually cause some keyholing, but that depends on what clutch you're using, and how the hole in the cymbal is cut. If the hole in the cymbal has rounded edges and you're using a clutch that has a plastic sleeve so that there is no metal to metal contact, no keyholing will occur. Many top drummers have used this trick, like Steve Smith. Like I said, it could eventually cause some keyholing, but you'd have to do it an awful lot, and there would have to be metal on metal contact.

It could eventually cause some keyholing, but that depends on what clutch you're using, and how the hole in the cymbal is cut. If the hole in the cymbal has rounded edges and you're using a clutch that has a plastic sleeve so that there is no metal to metal contact, no keyholing will occur. Many top drummers have used this trick, like Steve Smith. Like I said, it could eventually cause some keyholing, but you'd have to do it an awful lot, and there would have to be metal on metal contact.

I currently have six hi hat stands and probably have used just about every other, but none of mine have plastic sleeves within the clutch mechanism. I can't see where you could adjust the top cymbal tension if there was a plastic sleeve protecting the cymbal from the threads. Most cymbals, at least the ones I'm familiar, with have round holes when new, until they meet either the metal screw threads of the clutch or the metal stem of a non protected cymbal tilter. Of course I haven't been doing this drum thing very long, so can you please advise me on what clutches have this internal plastic sleeve, I'd like to check them out to see how they work.

Dennis

I currently have six hi hat stands and probably have used just about every other, but none of mine have plastic sleeves within the clutch mechanism. I can't see where you could adjust the top cymbal tension if there was a plastic sleeve protecting the cymbal from the threads. Most cymbals, at least the ones I'm familiar, with have round holes when new, until they meet either the metal screw threads of the clutch or the metal stem of a non protected cymbal tilter. Of course I haven't been doing this drum thing very long, so can you please advise me on what clutches have this internal plastic sleeve, I'd like to check them out to see how they work.

Dennis

I don't know if any clutch come with a plastic sleeve, but it would be pretty easy to slip a piece of tubing on there. I don't even think that would be necessary though, unless you were wobbling the hats like that constantly for years. I've never even seen a pair of hats that have keyholed, to be honest. Since they get mounted flat, they should wear evenly. From my experience, you'll only get keyholing if the cymbal is not weighted evenly and its mounted at an angle.

Back