Abelton - Tap tempo/Click

tappingfool

Hey guys,

Right, basically my band wants to start using sequenced music when we play and I am looking for some advice on a couple of different ways I could go about doing this.

Our band is going to be using Abelton Live when performing. Ideally I want to use a midi footswitch to keep the sequenced music in time (a function that I believe is available on Abelton..sorry, I am really clueless when it comes to this type of thing). So I am looking for advice on how best to do this.

Failing that I will use click so I'm looking to find out the best way to set up click so I can either get a regular click or the main riff coming through for me to play to. Also I am not sure how to practice to playing to click; are there things I can do when I'm tapping away with my sticks in my living room?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get my arse is gear so our band can start using sequencing!!

Thanks,
Ash

Just make sure that everyone knows that its just not you who has to keep up with the click, but everyone. I've heard some awesome live electronic stuff integrated into bands, but I've also seen folks crash and burn on stage. Definitely work out all the bugs together before you take it in front of a crowd.

I would start by playing your tunes together along with a click, or simple sequenced track in rehearsal.

What exactly do you mean by a "midi foot switch to keep the music in time" ?

Are you saying to have the software match your beat, or you would match it's beat?

I know you can hook up just about any midi device to trigger sequences. For example, the Alesis control pad would let you trigger a scene or clip in Ableton if you set it up properly. The click could already be going set to whatever bpm you want and you and the band playing along to it, then you could trigger what you want by hitting the appropriate pad.

As far as the software matching your beat, I have no idea how that's done, but would love to know if anyone has anymore info.

That Tap Tempo feature looks interesting. I'm going to have to mess with that. It would seem from the explanation that you could tap 4 times according tothe rhythm you're playing (assuming 4/4 i think) and then trigger the clip you want to play. It should then match that clips' tempo to the tempo you tapped in, and you would not have to use a click track. Of course this would still mean that you and the band would have to keep steady time to the tempo you just tapped. It sounds kind of like creating a click track on the fly that matches the tempo you are at.

I would definetely take Garvin's good advice and work all the bugs out a lot before going on stage with this.

Just curious, do you already have a midi foot controller? Which one? Personally, I would rather hit a pad on something like this with my drumstick, but either way would work.

Back