Drum stool position

Zoofie

Hey guys , im just wondering how you guys put your drum throne , like how far away from pedal and from floor etc? I do alot of double bassing and wondering if its best to sit close or quite far?
Cheers!

How long are your legs??

But seriously, I know nothing about double bass playing but I figure its just the same as every other type of drumming.

I play shows ranging from 1 hour to 3- You bet the first on my mind is comfort.

If you are sitting in on Peart's, Portnoy or Mayer's kit deal with the discomfort- If its your own then work out what is best for you.

It depends greatly on your playing style. I play lots of double bass, 80%+ heel down. i positon my throne so that my thighs run parallel to the floor and my heel is on the base foot plate in a comfortable, natural/ neutral position.Most of the time, i'm playing at a fairly brisk pace, 160-200 bpm sixteenth singles, but i lose control and fall off tempo if i go too slow, 120 bpm or slower so i switch to what derrick pope calls a "steve smith" stroke (catch him on youtube explainig heel-toe method), heel up then flat foot straight down from the hip, so i definitely don't want to sit too low to be able to do this. As far as angle, i would say my knee is at a slightly greater-than-right angle, but not too far out.

I like to keep my legs just a little higher than my knees. Since I use double bass a lot, it helps me. I play heel up on a lot of faster tunes, but I would like to work on keeping my heel down more...

I position it so that my calves aren't quite vertical, but leaning slightly away from the kick drum. Height-wise, I'm slightly above the point where my thighs would be parallell to the floor.

Back