Warpaint- What´s she got on her snare?

Ajax

What has Stella Mozgawa, the drummer from Warpaint got on her snare drum? It looks like a random bit of loose fabric (?) and cotton wool stuck onto her sticks (?) - homemade solutions to muffle sound? Is this "done"? The effect is pretty cool in my opinion but what has she done exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUYiFT7WDNA Skip to around the 2.00 min mark.

Looks like a t-shirt, played with a fat mallet to get a wide thud, a la Ringo.

I dig that song. Never heard of them.

Yeah, it looks like a t-shirt or at least a couple pieces of fabric, which is similar to the piece-of-paper-on-head (or upturned additional head, or big fat snare drum, or whatever) studio trick. Essentially, it's just a form of heavy muffling that also lowers the pitch of the head by adding mass. In this case it makes the snare almost sound like a hand drum to me.

As for the mallets, they look to me like they're just worn normal timpani mallets, like an Innovative GT4 or so.

Love those Istanbul cymbals too.

I've never heard of them either. Looks like a shirt or similar.

I really like this band. I'm going to delve a little deeper. Thanks for turning me on to them.

Those are store-bought mallets. You can get the "puff ball" type or just the regular and rough it up yourself.

I was turned on to this band about a year ago. Those ladies can jam, I love their sound, and Stella has incredible groove -- check out "bees." Also, check out anything from their 2014 "Warpaint" album. It took a while to grow on me, but it's one of the very few discs where I like every single song, especially "keep it healthy."

Back