Vintage Pearl Drumsets

The odd thing is the single holed mount on the bass drum.
All the catalogs show the usual double mount...

Maybe your bass drum originally came without a mount, and someone added it later, or a store special ordered it for a customer and they did it.

There are some weird things Ludwig and Slingerland did for people back then too, so it's not impossible that it's just a drum ordered that way.

From the look of the pics, I kinda have to say the kit is "wood", and that means whatever they were using at the time. Could be the same Phil. Mahogany as on other kits. It looks like the wood used for my "Royce" drum kit--which actually STILL sounds good. The grain on my kit is vertical too.

Back in the 60's-70's, companies (and people) were not concerned/aware of, or had a preference to specific woods. If you liked a kit back then, it was probably because of a color--unlike today.
NOW, it seems like people want to know the exact layups of every ply....of course the companies tell you every time they change something because it's "better"....

Slingerland was well known for using "whatever they had" to fill orders back in the day. Other companies probably were too.
Maybe that's where the white paint inside Ludwig drums came from as well?....

The odd thing is the single holed mount on the bass drum.
All the catalogs show the usual double mount...

Maybe your bass drum originally came without a mount, and someone added it later, or a store special ordered it for a customer and they did it.....

That's a Pearl model 727 Tom Mount. JUST LIKE the one in the catalog pic in post #10. The triple clamp looks like it may have been replaced with a Gibraltar part but, original Pearl mount. (I wish Pearl still offered that tom mount)

I think everyone is correct on the Philippine mahogany / Luan construction, folks were not as concerned with being "shell-snobs" like they are today. The catalog says: "9 ply WOOD"

I think you already know they're a good, solid kit. Congrats on a cool set.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. It helps a lot.

The tom mount seems to be from a different era and kit. It also seems to be a different brand. It does not say Pearl anywhere and the nuts is different.

I owned a Pearl kit that came with this mount. Bought in the early to mid 70's. Had a killer steel snare drum.

That's a Pearl model 727 Tom Mount. JUST LIKE the one in the catalog pic in post #10. The triple clamp looks like it may have been replaced with a Gibraltar part but, original Pearl mount. (I wish Pearl still offered that tom mount)

I think everyone is correct on the Philippine mahogany / Luan construction, folks were not as concerned with being "shell-snobs" like they are today. The catalog says: "9 ply WOOD"

I think you already know they're a good, solid kit. Congrats on a cool set.

Oh yeah! I didn't look at the pic that closely I guess.

I really like the one post/2 arms look better.
I guess Pearl thought 2 posts were more stable or something, but I think it looks cleaner with just one going into the bass drum.

But, whadoiknow?

Holy cow, look at the prices for parts in the '72 catalog!

Back