More Damage to me.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
Well I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon. Apparently I have at least partial tearing of both rotator cuffs. Very Painful but manageable with large amounts of Advil or Aleve. Years of Powerlifting..AGAIN.

I have to have MRI's done and then most likely surgery on both shoulders, but it's still early yet so we'll see. It sucks in the fact that were in early rehearsals with my new band, Though I know 95% of the music were playing I still need to be able to mesh and gel musically with the band and surgery may mean a month or so Hiatus away from the Kit. :-(

At Least I finished laying my drum tracks already for the new c.d. I'm playing on.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted...........

Are you doing one side at a time so that you can remain ambulatory? Best wishes on your pending procedure.

OOHH! I SO feel ya! I came to this forum 6 weeks ago to see if any drummers had experience working through cuff repair surgery. A few kind souls talked to me about it. Happy to report that just 8 weeks off the table, I've been cleared to play a show in early March. Take heart! Slow and painful at first, but quick to improve. I began playing lightly 3 weeks ago, just kinda tap-tap with the repaired arm on the snare in front of me. My PT says that so long as I'm not reaching for anything, and playing with good technique from the wrist, it shouldn't be an issue. Last weekend I played with the band! The kit is, of course, stripped down to a claustrophobically tight 4 piece with just 1 crash and a ride to keep me from doing anything stupid. It's my right (dominant) arm and as a result, my left has become much stronger and coordinated. Talk about keeping it simple, stupid. I'm suddenly REALLY understanding "less is more" This was a complete tear of the tendon with labrum repair, too, so, you'll do great! Maybe you'd want to get the dominant arm out of the way first, if you do indeed need surgery. Yeah, getting a ggod night's sleep is the hardest part. GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes!

Oooh bummer man, I'm sorry to hear that. You did this powerlifting, you say? I damaged the ligaments in my lower-back when I was 18, trying to dead-lift nearly 600lbs. I had gotten myself up to 550 (3 reps) but 600 was the breaking point. It still bothers me to this day...I'm 31 now.

Is this going to affect your gear buying addiction? :)

On a serious note... I hope that the situation works out in the best interest for your drumming career. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the input and encouragement. I am only going to have insurance a couple months, so i'll probably suck it up and do both shoulders at once. :(

So a matter of weeks and you were playing? Sweet, I'll be careful. thanks.

Yes I spent years powerlifting and bodybuilding. I damaged my shoulders back in 93, shoulder pressing 210 lbs but they healed but always nagged me a bit. I was only benching 365, but deadlifting 800 lbs, then started messing with highland games and started lifting ford tauruses (sp). My best squat was about 650, and now my knee and elbow have been operated on, and now my shoulders possibley. Live and learn.

I'm 2 weeks post-op on my right shoulder. Not rotator, but inner labrum (Bankhart). A little more in-depth....a lot more recovery. Mine has me slung for more than a month and that is zero playing and only excerted movement during therapy.

I'm suckin' it hard...but I did manage to get four drum tracks for the boys to mess around with laid down the day before my surgery...

Good luck to you.......

Lousy timing Pete, but health first, everything else can wait. How long is the post operative recovery time? lots of rehab for something like this, right?

then started messing with highland games .

You bin' flippin' lumber oer' your shoulders in a kilt, dude?

Last edited:
Yes I spent years powerlifting and bodybuilding. I damaged my shoulders back in 93, shoulder pressing 210 lbs but they healed but always nagged me a bit. I was only benching 365, but deadlifting 800 lbs, then started messing with highland games and started lifting ford tauruses (sp). My best squat was about 650, and now my knee and elbow have been operated on, and now my shoulders possibley. Live and learn.

Wow, what an animal! Wish ya the best...you'll be back at it in no time.

Lousy timing Pete, but health first, everything else can wait. How long is the post operative recovery time? lots of rehab for something like this, right?
Couple months away from the kit probably...hopefully less

You bin' flippin' lumber oer' your shoulders in a kilt, dude?

Just without the Kilt.........Wanted one but didn't wanna spend the $$$.

Did you git 'er done? Hope the best either way. You've got strong shoulders that'll heal right up with PT or some cut and paste.

..., shoulder pressing 210 lbs but they healed but always nagged me a bit. I was only benching 365, but deadlifting 800 lbs, then started messing with highland games and started lifting ford tauruses (sp). My best squat was about 650, and now my knee and elbow have been operated on, and now my shoulders possibley. Live and learn.

Holy Sheikh, that's pretty impressive!
I once picked up weightlifting but found I had very weak shoulders... I used to shoulder press about 35~40 pounds and do sets of 12 repetitions until I nearly cried in pain but never saw any progress... I gave up pretty soon (2 months or so) though.
My legs and chest were pretty strong but I never got anywhere near what you did!

But, reading what it cost you, maybe it was for the better. Good luck and best wishes, I hope you heal soon.

Wow Pete, am I ever behind the times....have not heard much from you lately and saw this...my prayers are with you...let us know what is going on when ya can!!!

Back