Hand percussion on the kit.

I've tried and failed. Early on with the Mabels I played one song with RH on djembe and another one where I played mini tambourine with my RH. With each song I eventually changed back to playing regular kit because I never felt entirely comfortable with it. Horses for courses.

I've tried and failed. Early on with the Mabels I played one song with RH on djembe and another one where I played mini tambourine with my RH. With each song I eventually changed back to playing regular kit because I never felt entirely comfortable with it. Horses for courses.
I'm interested to know why you didn't feel comfortable. Was it having to transition between hand percussion & sticks mid song? That's one of my concerns.

I'm interested to know why you didn't feel comfortable. Was it having to transition between hand percussion & sticks mid song? That's one of my concerns.

I played like that throughout the songs. I think the issue was balance. I'm used to playing a certain way and I felt a bit off kilter with the different movements. I imagine talented players might be able to slot it in without much specific practice.

I love the half hour "acoustic" set on that concert, Simon playing a basic 5 piece kit in small size and killing it with sticks and hand percussion, you still feel the punch of these songs, marvelous.

I only used a tambourine once with the right hand, other than that I never played hand percussion on the kit.

I guess with a little practice I could play a few hands stuff with diverse percussion instruments, as long as it remains "reasonably" simple though.

Does anyone know who the bass player is? I have seen him with a few groups in my time. Thanks.

Yes, Lee Sklar rocks!!!

Ok, I'm picking up a Rhythm Tech studio shaker on the way into practice tonight. Should be interesting, as I plan on jumping straight in rather than doing the sensible thing & practice with it first. I'm preparing for orchestrated groans from the band :)

You should give your singer a cowbell, Andy. He's got the timing. He knows he can handle it. Really. All he needs is your trust ... can you deny him that trust he so desperately needs and wants from you? Love and trust. Isn't that all that any of us want, really? I'll tell you, that's what life's all about, baby! It's all just love and trust and that's why the only sane thing to do is to give your singer that cowbell and know he won't let you down!

// end fantasy sequence

You should give your singer a cowbell, Andy. He's got the timing. He knows he can handle it. Really. All he needs is your trust ... can you deny him that trust he so desperately needs and wants from you? Love and trust. Isn't that all that any of us want, really? I'll tell you, that's what life's all about, baby! It's all just love and trust and that's why the only sane thing to do is to give your singer that cowbell and know he won't let you down!

// end fantasy sequence
Fantasy indeed. I might start him off on a baby rattle, & keep it well away from a microphone ;)

Studio shaker ordered. I've worked out how to transition between shaker & stick on the song I'm thinking of. I'll hold the stick & the shaker in my right hand, then drop the shaker at an appropriate point. Playing hats, snare, toms, & cymbals with the left hand at the same time as managing the shaker in the right should prove interesting :)

Saw the drummer from an indie band called Guster do this a few years back. At the time I thought it was a bit silly and indulgent, but...? To each his/her own.

// end fantasy sequence

Well, honestly Grea...

bilde

...I'm not sure if love and trust are enough, really!!!

Good luck with the shaker Andy, I look forward to see and hear you on the next "Fired Up" clip :)

Taking a page from the drummers from Los Lobos and Los Lonely Boys (whom I saw one summer on a double bill), I have set up congas to my left and played them with the left hand while doing a simple rhythm with the right hand. That's a great independence drill for you.

This came in handy for my NYE gig. Started playing this syncopated little rhythm on the congas, inspired by something Moroccan; the guitar player began to strum these big, airy chord changes, and begins to sing the lyrics to Zeppelin's "Kashmir". As the song wends around and gets to the bridge -- "All I see turns to brown", I swivel to the right, grab my sticks, he drops his foot on the crunch pedal, and WHAM it's face-melting time in the little bar we're playing. Best response of the evening.

Attachments

• NYE2012.jpg
    NYE2012.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 231
I've been playing very quiet gigs lately, so I've been doing a lot of shaker, bells, and tambourine instead of cymbals generally. When the shaker can be heard at a gig it really helps change the texture of a song, and people seem to respond quite well to it. I am planning to try out some bongos on the left side, too.

This guy Chris Hainey, really impresses me in general, but most especially in this song because of the crazy bell line he plays while keeping a beat. Amazing!

(skip to 2:00, that's when the song starts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyT1gYrAf4

I forgot one easy one I've done, just hold a maraca with the RH stick and play the hats almost as usual, just with more arm to keep the maraca going.

For a while I was using a foot cabasa, foot cowbell, djembe drum, conga practice pad on
stand, a variety of cowbells etc along with my kit. Hauling all that stuff, along with the very
important fact that on most my gigs we get a 30 minute window to setup and begin max, eventually led me to going back to the kit only BUT now I play Hands, Brushes, and Sticks
on it where I never used to play hands only on the kit before. West coast jazz drummer Frank Butler was a master at going seamlessly back and forth between hands, sticks, brushes. I really like hauling less now but am taking a set of sleigh bells to a trio gig this
thursday to try out as a hybrid "ouiro combined with cowbell sort of" on a latin tune. It actually doesn't sound that bad used this way while set on a tom on its side. Well, maybe.

Last edited:
Keith Carlock has some cool ideas that he demonstrates in his DVD.

One is to rub your finger around the snare after a hit to get different harmonics. Another is muting the snare with the hand after letting it sing for a moment. Another is tapping rolls with fingers, I think I've seen Benny Greb do that too.

Playing in the praise and worship genre, I am constantly alternating between the kit and hand percussion. At first it was a little uncomfortable, but I've grown to enjoy it and see it as a challenge. On many songs, I'm using the shaker or tambo with my left hand and playing snare, cymbals, or blocks with a stick in my right hand.

I've receieved many many comments about how the percussion compliments the songs, so I must be doing something right.... :)

Back