Mic test :D

Calummordue

I was in the school studio during music tech and as my mate was drumming, i though i would see what sounds i could get out of the mics the school has.

This is the running order

AKG D112 - kick mic
Shure Beta 52 A - kick mic
AKG 414 - condenser
Samsong c01 - condenser

The school has alot more but i picked up these as they where first out the rack.

The kick mics where placed in the kick pointing at the beater.
The condensers where placed about 4ft in front of the kit ( i would have put them a bit further back but the live room isnt big enough.

I put some EQ on but thats about it

I think the D112 sounds the best on the kick and the 414 On the whole kit

Tell me what u think.

Attachments

• TEST.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
I think the main problem with these recordings isn't the distance of the condensers from the kit, but the height. It seems like the condensers are on the same plane as the hi-hats, which means that there is a strong high-end sibilance. I record from much higher - about four feet - above the kit.

I think the main problem with these recordings isn't the distance of the condensers from the kit, but the height. It seems like the condensers are on the same plane as the hi-hats, which means that there is a strong high-end sibilance. I record from much higher - about four feet - above the kit.

it was about head height ( im about 5 11)

5'11" probably isn't *really* high enough. Were you using a single condenser or a pair? The room size might also be a factor. Keep on trying! I really encourage this kind of experimentation!

yeah just the one, i could have got the other out but i didn't. i will do the some more experimenting tomorrow :)

Keep on trying mate. Try and find some articles. Just do a bit of reading and keep on trying. You don't get many opportunities to really experiment, so I would do it while you can!

I would encourage that! Get 'em high and far away, and spaced evenly from the kit on opposite sides of the room. That will help with a nice drum sound and a good couple of tracks to mix in stereo...

i will do! im going to record my bands practice session. we are going to move the kit into the main mac room though as there is more space. what i will do probably is put a the D112 on the kick, perhaps 2 414 high and in the over the drums but angled in. Then maybe a few sm57's on the guitar amps, or even the co1 in front of them. any thoughts?

The CO1 is decent enough, but quite abrasive in the top end, as far as I remember. Not bad though.

414s are good but quite boring-sounding, in my experience. They're good if you want to record something that's going to be in the background of a mix, something sort of flat-sounding. Not so good for lead vocals.

i will do! im going to record my bands practice session. we are going to move the kit into the main mac room though as there is more space. what i will do probably is put a the D112 on the kick, perhaps 2 414 high and in the over the drums but angled in. Then maybe a few sm57's on the guitar amps, or even the co1 in front of them. any thoughts?

Don't use the CO1 on the amps, far too abrasive. The set up you're proposing is pretty much spot on. Give it a go.

Back