Punk Drummers?

ivonne

Anyone into playing punk? if soo what songs by what bands do you like to play??

Mary Had A Little Drug Problem by Scratch Acid is pretty fun. As are most of the songs by that band. Rey Washam was the drummer (also played in Rapeman, Tad, Ministry)

thats cool i havent heard of that band yet.
i think songs by minor threat and G.B.H. are pretty fun but i wanna learn electrodes by Nausea the drumming is really cool in that one.

I like a lot of the older stuff from AFI. Their newer stuff is more punk-pop oriented but some of their older albums like black sails at sunset, very proud of ya, and the art of drowning are all great.
Sing the sorrow was when they kinda changed to pop/punk.

Back in the day, I got into drums so I could play my favorite songs, most of which was punk rock.

GBH
Exploited
Black Flag
Sex Pistols
Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees (Budgie is one of my all time faves!)
The Damned (Met Rat Scabies here in Phoenix... He lives here, whodathunk it! Summer home I understand...)
Misfits/Samhain
PIL (proto-Pop Punk)

The list goes on, but thats a good start!

I like a lot of the older stuff from AFI. Their newer stuff is more punk-pop oriented but some of their older albums like black sails at sunset, very proud of ya, and the art of drowning are all great.
Sing the sorrow was when they kinda changed to pop/punk.

haha yeah i totally agree i like the drumming in answer that and stay fashionable

Back in the day, I got into drums so I could play my favorite songs, most of which was punk rock.

GBH
Exploited
Black Flag
Sex Pistols
Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees (Budgie is one of my all time faves!)
The Damned (Met Rat Scabies here in Phoenix... He lives here, whodathunk it! Summer home I understand...)
Misfits/Samhain
PIL (proto-Pop Punk)

The list goes on, but thats a good start!

sweet hahaha.
and Pocket-full-of-gold, thats sick too down haha

I like NOFX, Erik Sandin's stuff is pretty fast, but it's fun.

Dead Kennedys, The Clash, Sex Pistols.

thats cool i havent heard of that band yet.
No time like the present! They were a band in the '80s that flew under everyone's radar and after their breakup, two of them became The Jesus Lizard. I'm listening to them right now and it never gets old. First punk band to have really great musicians - sure, you could quibble on the singer, but he's hilarious!

A good sampler:

Owner's Lament
Mary Had A Little Drug Problem
For Crying Out Loud
This Is Bliss (lots of gritty odd time and over-the-bar-line action)

Older Rise Against (Brandon Barnes is the most underated punk drummer.)
Offspring
The Clash
Older Green Day

I like Brandon Barnes too, but I think his newer work is more impressive than his older work...
A lot of his stuff is repetitive... just the classic punk rock beat...

1+2+3+4+
H H H H
B SB B S

But some of his stuff is more innovative, especially on Appeal to Reason.
I am excited to see if he brings more of this on their upcoming album in February.

haha yeah i totally agree i like the drumming in answer that and stay fashionable

Yeah my fav 2 AFI songs to jam to are Your name here and malleus maleficarium.

I was sooo disappointed when I first heard sing the sorrow... I was like "What the hell happened???'

Their newest album has some old skool punk roots though.

I’ve been a Hardcore/Straight Edge drummer since 1989. I’ve had the privilege to play in a very respected and popular band in the hxc/sxe scene for a long time.

A few drummers to name that always inspired me are-

Jeff Nelson- Minor Threat

Mackie- Cro-Mags

Sammy Siegler- Youth of Today

Chris Bratton- Chain of Strength

Not a huge punk fan but Lost at 22 by Life of Agony is pretty damn fun to play.

Back