Bent Bottom Diecast Hoop

0127frey

Just wonder if anyone could help me with some information,,I have just got a Ludwig Black Magic 13"x7" Snare Drum,And i have noticed that the bottom hoop when placed on a flat surface it touches where the snare holes are but 90deg to each side the rim is raised by 2mm to 3mm,i complained to the shop i got this from but i was told Diecast Hoop are bent,I have had no experience with Diecast Hoop before,could some explain what is correct ?,Thank you

First question is are you absolutely sure your flat surface is truly 100% flat?

Contrary to belief die cast hoops can bend/warp under very high tension.

If the Black Magic is brand new, I would ask your vendor to warranty a new bottom hoop.
If it is used, chalk it up to a learning experience. Perhaps your shop will cut you a discounted deal on a new bottom die cast hoop. My recommendation is to consider replacing it with an S-Hoop. S-Hoops are much more rigid than a die cast hoop so you can crank up the tension and not have a repeat episode. Soundwise, an S-Hoop falls in-between a triple flanged hoop and a die cast.

First question is are you absolutely sure your flat surface is truly 100% flat?

Contrary to belief die cast hoops can bend/warp under very high tension.

If the Black Magic is brand new, I would ask your vendor to warranty a new bottom hoop.
If it is used, chalk it up to a learning experience. Perhaps your shop will cut you a discounted deal on a new bottom die cast hoop. My recommendation is to consider replacing it with an S-Hoop. S-Hoops are much more rigid than a die cast hoop so you can crank up the tension and not have a repeat episode. Soundwise, an S-Hoop falls in-between a triple flanged hoop and a die cast.
Excellent advice - nothing to add :)

Back