First rehearsal EVER

M

Mike_In_KC

A buddy of mine who plays guitar and another buddy who plays bass are coming over to my house tomorrow to "noodle around" and see how I do with live musicians. I have never played with anyone, hell I have barely played along to songs. Both guitar players know what they are getting into so I am not to stressed out - that said I am a little nervous.

Does anyone have any tips that I can use for my first performance with, dare I say, OTHER, musicians?

Thanks in advance!

MM

Try not to get too caught up in what you're doing. Once you get the physical aspects of playing down to second nature, you can focus on what they're doing, which is integral for playing in a group setting.

Don't sweat it, know that you're allowed to make mistakes, and keep those ears open!

Caek (sic).

And good for you: having muso friends who will help you improve is envy-inducing!

Jamming with others is about as much fun as one can have with...well, it's a whole lot of fun. Don't stress out about mistakes. Don't be afraid to let loose a little. If all else fails, just play simple grooves that are easy for everyone to improvise to until your comfort level expands a little. Jams are my favorite part of playing any instrument, even when we sound terrible.

Watch, listen, enjoy!! That's all I've got.

Great move mate. Nothing beats layin' it down with other musos. It'll be a blast. Have fun.

Ok so let me be sure I have it all straight -

Have fun
Listen
Don't trust whitey
The lord loves a workin' man
See a doctor and git rid of it
Listen
Don't over play
Have fun
Wear a cape

I think I got it.

Ok so let me be sure I have it all straight -

Have fun
Listen
Don't trust whitey
The lord loves a workin' man
See a doctor and git rid of it
Listen
Don't over play
Have fun
Wear a cape

I think I got it.

HaHa :)

well then you also need to add "have a good screen around you to avoid any beer bottles thrown" ;-)

HaHa :)

well then you also need to add "have a good screen around you to avoid any beer bottles thrown" ;-)

Also forgot the midwest, bring a pie thing.... will add those two things.

Focus on them. This should automatically make you listen to them. Just keep your eyes on them, and feel, don't think.

It's great you get to play with others already. Record yourself if possible. I know some people who are afraid to hear themselves on playback because they don't want to hear themselves messing up. I'll never understand that. That's the whole point! Once you cringe at something you did, you'll want to re-think it. But if you go on thinking everything is great....progress slows way down, and you are out of touch with reality. Listening back to hear what actually happened is almost better than actually playing it. Plus you get to go over the arrangement (if there is one) all you want until it's ingrained.

Get a teacher, practice practice practice, play with others as soon as possible, and religiously recording yourself at rehearsals and gigs is the fastest way to improve.

At the get together, keep it light and don't make yourself all serious and stuff. Creativity needs a relaxed mind to flow.

You'll be fine, remember, you are already awesome.

Focus on them. This should automatically make you listen to them. Just keep your eyes on them, and feel, don't think.

It's great you get to play with others already. Record yourself if possible. I know some people who are afraid to hear themselves on playback because they don't want to hear themselves messing up. I'll never understand that. That's the whole point! Once you cringe at something you did, you'll want to re-think it. But if you go on thinking everything is great....progress slows way down, and you are out of touch with reality. Listening back to hear what actually happened is almost better than actually playing it. Plus you get to go over the arrangement (if there is one) all you want until it's ingrained.

Get a teacher, practice practice practice, play with others as soon as possible, and religiously recording yourself at rehearsals and gigs is the fastest way to improve.

At the get together, keep it light and don't make yourself all serious and stuff. Creativity needs a relaxed mind to flow.

You'll be fine, remember, you are already awesome.

Thanks Larry - It ended up being awesome. It was just two of us, a lead guitar and my drums. I was able to hang more than I imagined - it helped having a guitar player who has been playing a lot longer than I have but I was able to keep up fine. Lots of work still to do - everything needs to improve but yeah I can hang and think I might end up being a drummer :) I can't describe the feeling of leading a groove and having the guitar player fall in line with me and then maintaining it.

We didn't think to record ourselves but he is coming back over tomorrow night and we for sure will record ourselves then

MM

Last edited:
Great stuff - chuffed to bits for you!

Back