Sad Drumming

I don't think I'd be out of line in saying that percussive instruments lend themselves to uplifting and celebratory emotions by their very nature and origin (excluding military, though the snare drum probably does cause the adrenaline to pump). The history of percussive instruments shows how they have been used for cultural celebration for centuries. If you are just playing on a snare, tom toms and a kick drum with a handful of cymbals I don't think you are going to create music that is going to be melancholy. You'd have to use accessory instruments to move in that direction. Drums get people moving and wanting to dance, and I don't think there are many people out on the dance floor crying their eyes out to the beat.

I'm talking specifically about drums played as stand alone, not paired with a sad guitar riff (which is taking up the bulk of the emotional content and thus it would be cheating to say the drums contributed much).

I don't think I'd be out of line in saying that percussive instruments lend themselves to uplifting and celebratory emotions by their very nature and origin (excluding military, though the snare drum probably does cause the adrenaline to pump). The history of percussive instruments shows how they have been used for cultural celebration for centuries. If you are just playing on a snare, tom toms and a kick drum with a handful of cymbals I don't think you are going to create music that is going to be melancholy. You'd have to use accessory instruments to move in that direction. Drums get people moving and wanting to dance, and I don't think there are many people out on the dance floor crying their eyes out to the beat.

I'm talking specifically about drums played as stand alone, not paired with a sad guitar riff (which is taking up the bulk of the emotional content and thus it would be cheating to say the drums contributed much).

Agree - and very nicely put too. Drums are uppers. Staccato has to be very quiet, sparse or stiff to not sound like a party.

IMO the instruments best suited to sadness (apart from voice) are bowed strings - violin through to double bass. All that weepy legato ... nyahhh nya-nya nyyaahh

Back