Vistalite...can you help ?

Stevevye

Hi im Steve from England

I have just bought a Ludwig Vistalite pattern C Red & Yellow Spiral kit from 1975 consisting of 24 " 13" 14 " 16" and 18" floors, but it doesnt have a matching snare, would anyone have an idea of what I could expect to pay for one in good clean condition ?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Steve

Not to depress you, but I saw a regular solid blue vistalite 5x14 snare for sale and that owner got $750 for it. Yours is extremely rare, it may not even exist. Could be over a grand if you can locate the guy who has it! Good luck! I always dug the spirals, but I chickened out and when I got my '78 Vistalites, they were solid black.

Thanks for the reply Bo, well I shall just have to sit and wait until one turns up, at least it will give me chance to save while im waiting !

How good are those Vistalites? The see through ones have always looked really cool to me but I've always been concerned that they are more gimmicky then anything. Clearly I don't know enough about them which is why I ask.

I recently went to a Bonzo tribute show... they used one, but 19 killer drummers make most kits sound great. As for the looks, A+

Thanks for your reply Zeus, they are certainly not a gimmicky drum , they have a massive monster sound and are made by one of the best drum manufacturers in the world, and the spiral pattern was without doubt the hardest pattern to manufacture, they were very popular in the 70's with the loud colours and patterns which complimented the Disco era and the Glam Rock era, if you get the chance try one out and see the difference.

Thanks Madius, but I think ill wait patiently and get an authentic snare from the same era, in fact im in discussion with a guy in America who has one for sale so im giving him the old sob story about the exchange rate and customs duty....so wish me luck !

Steve

Hi im Steve from England

I have just bought a Ludwig Vistalite pattern C Red & Yellow Spiral kit from 1975 consisting of 24 " 13" 14 " 16" and 18" floors, but it doesn't have a matching snare, would anyone have an idea of what I could expect to pay for one in good clean condition ?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Steve

Just use a Supra, it was the snare of choice even in a Vistalite kit.
(see Bonham)

Back