Feelin' a little blue

M

Matt Bo Eder

Now that Christmas season is over, I just realized that, for the last 30+ years, I would be gearing up to start playing for all those eager show choir groups every weekend from January until May, except for this year, since I abruptly stopped doing this activity last year in January.

It was a bit hard to let that go because it was a good check as well every year for the last 30+ years too. But I think the situation was becoming untenable and I was no longer happy doing it. The people I worked for certainly weren't happy, so I decided to stop and move on. It does feel a little empty because right about this time, I'd be buying new heads, stocking up on sticks and spare parts, and generally making sure all my gear is good to go. But this new year is different. I'm not having to do any of that because I simply don't need to be ready for anything any time soon. I think this is what Don Felder felt like when he was let go by the Eagles.

So I post this here as a bit of therapy. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention to stop playing, and it's been nice because I've been able to practice without having to worry about what we're playing for the kids - meaning I can practice what I want and nothing gets in the way of that now. I had been subbing for Bermuda in one of his cover bands all summer and that was cool just concentrating on my groove and not having to worry about the start-stop aspect of Broadway show tunes. And having the extra time in my weeks has let me do a bit more of my own personal photography projects too (not so much shooting school groups, as I was doing too).

So it's not that I'm depressed and losing my mind, I guess it just takes a bit to get used to doing something else when for the last 30 years I fell into the usual grindstone of using my drums to make $$$. Now I have to find a way to fill my time with being 'artsy'.

But some exciting things are coming up - NAMM is coming up, so I expect to do the usual meet-up with fellow DrummerWorld folks with Bermuda at the Ludwig booth. And I have a few more YouTube videos up my sleeve to debut soon. So I'm looking forward to that. And a buddy of mine may want to use me as a headshot photographer for a fashion expo happening in Los Angeles in February. I suppose life is good. There's just this chunk that's not there.

Thanks for reading ;)

You can always rest your head in Mo's boobs. I know that would cheer me up.

Seriously, 30 years is a long time, yow. You should visit. Maybe that will make you feel better when all the kids say how much they will miss you.

You can always rest your head in Mo's boobs. I know that would cheer me up.

Sheesh - I was thinking the same thing, but I'd never TYPE it!!! We gotta get UL a keyboard filter. ;-)

Gosh Bo, it was just a routine - 30 years will do that to a guy or gal. Buy some new heads, put on the mouse ears and tune them up. You may never find another 30 year-long routine - so what. Some folks would say you were lucky - others might say lazy. In either case, it was good while it lasted. You'll find another place to channel that energy, just maybe not all in the same place at the same time every year.

Happy, Healthy and Safe 2016!

It'll pass when you fill that hole with something else. Doesn't help much right now though.
A new drum kit to cheer you up probably isn't going to do it - LOL
But hey - you never know, right?

Contrary to popular opinion, money does indeed buy happiness lol.

And Smoke I have a filter. I was gonna say tits. :)

It'll pass when you fill that hole with something else. Doesn't help much right now though.
A new drum kit to cheer you up probably isn't going to do it - LOL
But hey - you never know, right?

I am testing out a new snare drum. I plan on posting a video review of it soon.

Bo,

It's posts like this that make me glad that I keep a shoebox full of inspiration in my garage.

cough...

Don't get down. Life has a way of coming around to provide something new and interesting.

Peace, love, and goodwill.

Back