play along or not to play along

tomo1818

happy new year guys n gals quick question I am a sax player of 20 years just started to learn drums loving it. advice please buy play along cd,s with book notation or not have a few for sax really helped me over the years is this a good idea for drums

Welcome to Drummerworld and drumming.

I have "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone and "Progressive Steps to Syncopation" by Ted Reed. These are not play along books, instead they are focused on building chops.

I do not have experience with play along books.

Do everything. Play with recordings, play solo, play with other people, practice with books, videos. Every little bit helps.

I've got some mileage out of Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials. It's a set of 86 playalong tracks with a book and poster. There's also a separate DVD, which I didn't get so I don't know how useful that is.

Chapter 1: Rock
Chapter 2: Funk
Chapter 3: R&B and Hip Hop
Chapter 4: Jazz
Chapter 5: World and Speciality (disco, reggae, cha-cha etc.)

I've got some mileage out of Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials. It's a set of 86 playalong tracks with a book and poster. There's also a separate DVD, which I didn't get so I don't know how useful that is.

Chapter 1: Rock
Chapter 2: Funk
Chapter 3: R&B and Hip Hop
Chapter 4: Jazz
Chapter 5: World and Speciality (disco, reggae, cha-cha etc.)

+1 for Groove Essentials.
The dvd contains a lot of hints and tips and most importantly it shows you how to play along if you're more an ears than an eyes person (eyes = the partitions in the book).

Yeah the groove essentials 1 (book) is great, I think you should get a copy. The tracks are sometimes cheesy so it's also nice to play along with your favourite songs, often you can find drum less versions of those if you google.

Another +1 on this book/CD/DVD. One of the few that I can really recommend; it will provide practicing material for a long time (I still find some of the rhythms quite challenging and often grabs a random song to refresh my chart sight reading).

Back