Gregg Bendian

cwoodruff

Saw a clinic of his the other day at my school in Central New York. Not sure how well known he is in the drummer world, but he's toured with some original members of the Zappa band in "Project Object" and also does a Genesis revival type gig, as well as being an avid composer and supporter of new music in the percussion world.

In his clinic he played some really cool solo material that included attaching spring clamps to the cymbals and placing a small chinese gong on the floor tom and then experimenting with different timbres as if it were a one man percussion ensemble. He also demonstrated grooving in odd time signatures, flawlessly weaving in and out of 7 and 9.

Thoughts on this guy?

For a good example of his playing, both experimental and jazz/fusion wise, check out "Bone Structure" (Bendian, Gauthier, Liebig, and Stinson).

That clinic sounds cool! Gregg Bendian is pretty sick, I've never seen him perform but I've heard a bit of his recorded work -- vibraphone playing with Interzone (w/Alex Cline, another relatively unknown yet very talented drummer IMHO) and drumming on tributes to Coltrane (Interstellar Space Revisited) and Mahavishnu Orchestra (The Mahavishnu Project) -- good stuff. Haven't heard Bone Structure yet, but looking forward to tracking it down.

Back