Warming up with rudiments

Brodown

When you guys get on the kit for the days practice how long do you practice your rudiments for? I've improved my left wrist and my overall playing a lot since I started doing 20-30 min rudiment warm ups but I still think my biggest problem is not using my fingers enough, In some songs theres pretty fast drum rolls that I have real trouble pulling off, like the one at 1:47 of this song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJOsYnqud0, anyone have any advice on improving this kind of technique, surely you need to use your fingers more than wrists for rolls of this speed and duration, im pretty sure its 16 strokes in total for the actual roll

This year, I'm doing about 30-45 minutes on rudiments.

-I first do an exersize that one of DW members shared that strengthens that builds Left hand coordination by starting first.

-Then I work on a combination of double-bounce rolls, where the fingers are used on the rebound for 2 strong beats. Many of the rudiments have double beats/hits/taps in them. The experience drummers can really make these doubles sound really clean and BOTH the same volume.

-Then I do individual single, double, triple paradiddles one at a time.

-Towards the end of the rudiment workout, I play all 3 types of paradiddles continuously in a groove.

I'm trying to get these in my muscle memory so they just come out naturally when I solo or throw a lick. Amazing how they sound when they are CLEAN and FAST.
Here are couple links I've learned from that have good ideas about rudiments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpd0G6fxXk this guy Scott is a pretty cool cat.

this one kicks ass too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHnjhRr2CA

I can not conceive of any serious drummer who wants to play his/her best, who does NOT warm up by a measured series of rudimental exersizes. Pablo Casals, the world renown cello player, was once asked, when he turned 80, how do you begin to practice everyday? He answered, I start by practicing where to put my fingers on the string! Drummers can do nothing better than to approach the drum everyday as if it were new. Basics, basics, basics! Play those rudiments!

I know this is OT,but when Buddy Rich was asked how he warms up......he replied............"I take my hands out of my pockets".

Steve B

I actually loosen up for about 20 minutes with a two different exercises before I hit anything intense with rudiments. My age may necessitate that though. One of the two though uses Dave Tough's Advanced Paradiddle's Book so I guess the focus on the various paradiddles is in action. I do all of this with simple bass drum/hi hat patterns to get the legs moving as well.

After that I spend about 15-20 minutes, getting all the rudiment workout I need by going through Wilcoxon solos which incorporates all the various American Rudiments. Again, I do all of this with simple bass drum/hi hat patterns to get the legs moving as well.

At that point, my arms and legs are very warmed up and I'm ready for drum set stuff.

So to answer your question I spend about 30 minutes in total on rudiments between the Dave Tough Book and Wilcoxon Books.

Back