How to get started teaching drums

Numberless

Platinum Member
Hey, I was wondering how did you guys get started giving lessons and teaching drums. I am thinking the best way for me to go about it is to offer a couple of free basic lessons within my circle of friends/known people and after that maybe go to a local music academy or something. How was the process for you?

Through school I had always played in the band(s), enough so that when I graduated they gave me the percussion instructor job, and I did that for two years, gaining private students through that. Then when I auditioned for Disney and started working, it began to snowball, and then, you know.

I started giving lessons around my area to make some extra money between tours .....a local music school approached me to teach there ...I think it was because I was possibly stealing clients....but I turned them down because I didnt want to be tied down to anything and continued putting most of my time into the band I was in....

some years later when that band was on its last legs and starting to end, I started my life as a hired gun they approached me again and this time I accepted and have been there for the past 5 years

I have 55 students a week and gig at least 3 or 4 nights a week.....no I dont get much sleep

I taught for a few years back in the 60's. I got most of my students through ads in the newpaper, posters in places like laundramats, and by word of mouth. After a year I had about 30 students in this town of 30,000 people. These days an ad in Craigs list might garner some hits.

for me it's come from people at church that see me play each week. They approached me about teaching. I have 7 students now. I do it for the enjoyment of the art (little extra cash isn't bad either.) so I don't actively go seeking students. Word of mouth can be your best friend.

As for the idea of giving a couple free lessons, that's your call but not something I'm a fan of. I've never given a free lesson, if a person is there to learn from the hours and years of I've put into learning and honing my craft then they should be paying for that time and knowledge. To me that shows they want to be a student with me not just there for a freebie. I never had a drum instructor that gave free lessons either, payment started day one.

Back