Reaching new heights!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
We all have been to concerts were the drum solo are performed on a moving plateform for showmanship and that extra visual effect for the audience.

Many drummers have used this particular concept for their performances on stage, Tommy Lee, Joey Jordison, Travis Barker, just to name a few....

I never will attempt such a concept, I would simply vomit on my set, I have such a bad "air travel sickness" syndrome... haha.

But did you know that the pionner of that concept is the ultra famous Buddy Rich...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnkkhYM4Whg

Enjoy! (ho God, now I'm feeling sick...)

Well that just moved him down a few hundred pegs in my book lol.

Never saw that one before. I don't know how I feel about this.

Really tired of the side show crap that gets associated with us. How come the horn players don't put up with this crap?

And the movement of that platform was cheese city.

How deballing.

Anything that gives me more attention is good in my books. :) Drummers are usually in the background, and unnoticed by many.

Anything that gives me more attention is good in my books. :)
No s**t, really?

Great video! & I love the cheezy platform operation. Agreed on the vomit thing though, I'm terrible for that motion sickness thing too.

I remember when I was about 9 years old, my parents put me on the "Waltzer" ride at the fairground for the first time. You know the one, it has little pods that spin in addition to the whole ride revolving. Anyhow, it was a popular ride, & the assembled "audience" were standing 3 or 4 deep around the circumference. The ride starts up, & the smug teen attendant decides to give our pod a really good spin. Well, I unloaded at force 10 at just the right trajectory, & with the ride spinning so fast, everyone got a souvenir to take away with them :)

No s**t, really?

Great video! & I love the cheezy platform operation. Agreed on the vomit thing though, I'm terrible for that motion sickness thing too.

I remember when I was about 9 years old, my parents put me on the "Waltzer" ride at the fairground for the first time. You know the one, it has little pods that spin in addition to the whole ride revolving. Anyhow, it was a popular ride, & the assembled "audience" were standing 3 or 4 deep around the circumference. The ride starts up, & the smug teen attendant decides to give our pod a really good spin. Well, I unloaded at force 10 at just the right trajectory, & with the ride spinning so fast, everyone got a souvenir to take away with them :)
Hey watch your language. We just had another post cleaned up. :) If I could just get my rock riser to spin. Now that would be something. You guys could come over and throw rocks at me while I play. That would make a cool video. I know a few on here that would sign up for that. :) Oh, the faster the ride the better for me.

Funny story Andy! Loved it! Yea Sticks, I'll throw rocks at you! JK man, I wouldn't want to scratch your drums lol.

Funny story Andy! Loved it! Yea Sticks, I'll throw rocks at you! JK man, I wouldn't want to scratch your drums lol.
Yes, scratches on the kit would hurt more than any injury to my body.

Well that just moved him down a few hundred pegs in my book lol.

Never saw that one before. I don't know how I feel about this.

Really tired of the side show crap that gets associated with us. How come the horn players don't put up with this crap?

And the movement of that platform was cheese city.

How deballing.

How does this move buddy rich down "a few hundred pegs" in your book? Consider the time frame and period with which he did this. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the FIRST drummers to do this, unlike Joey Jordison, Tommy Lee Jones, and Travis Barker. The idea in and of itself was revolutionary. As for the cheesy movement of the platform, you realize technology required to make it "uncheesey" wasn't readily available when he chose to do this? Sorry I don't mean to flame, but I feel like you're missing a great point in the history of Buddy Rich.

Do you hear what he played in the video while he was upside down? He was doing double strokes against gravity with blood rushing to his head.

Don't take this post personally but if anything, this video should move buddy rich up a few couple hundred pegs.

How does this move buddy rich down "a few hundred pegs" in your book? Consider the time frame and period with which he did this. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the FIRST drummers to do this, unlike Joey Jordison, Tommy Lee Jones, and Travis Barker. The idea in and of itself was revolutionary. As for the cheesy movement of the platform, you realize technology required to make it "uncheesey" wasn't readily available when he chose to do this? Sorry I don't mean to flame, but I feel like you're missing a great point in the history of Buddy Rich.

Do you hear what he played in the video while he was upside down? He was doing double strokes against gravity with blood rushing to his head.

Don't take this post personally but if anything, this video should move buddy rich up a few couple hundred pegs.

Hey it's all good. It's just my opinion. I don't like the sideshow aspect of it, never will, and if Buddy was the one to start it, well I wish he never did it. I don't care for it but that doesn't matter. It turns drumming into a spectacle and a joke IMO. Buddy is so high up that a few hundred less pegs still puts him way ahead of the crowd. And the technology was already in place for quite some time, that's not revolutionary either. And doing double strokes upside down...puh-lease, that doesn't impress me one bit because I could do that too. Sorry but that's MO.

I remember seeing that clip that when I was a kid. When Tommy Lee did it again in the 80's, I was about the only guy in my circle that could say "it's already been done."

No idea why it should lessen Buddy's appeal though. And theatrics certainly spread a hell of a lot farther and wider than just drummers. Hendrix set his guitar on fire and played with his teeth. Jimmy Page wanked around with his violin bow. AC/DC inflated "Rosie" and The Stones a 50 foot hard on. Iron Maiden unleash a 15 foot mechanical monster. U2 ran an entire production based around watching television and Pink Floyd played an entire series of concerts from behind a wall.

Were any of these absolutely vital to the musical aspect of the performance? Hardly. Yet I don't see that the visual aspect actually detracted from it either.

It's show biz.......it is what it is. As long as the cats can actually play in the first place, I'm not bothered by what theatrics they employ to emphasise the performance.

I unloaded at force 10 at just the right trajectory, & with the ride spinning so fast, everyone got a souvenir to take away with them :)

I remember my mother laughing years later about the event. She was standing back a distance ...

Yes, I see the connection ... laughing about it ... standing back at a distance.

I saw that clip some time ago. While Buddy's playing at any angle is stellar I've never liked that style of soloing with lots of clattering snare drum. I find it gets grating fairly quickly.

I don't think any less of Buddy, though. Anyone who plays Time Check with his speed, precision and swing is a hero and I couldn't give a funk if he played upside down and inside out (now there's an idea for an exciting stage show - a drummer with his vital organs on the outside - liver, lungs, spleen ... sorry, I'm reading a George Carlin book ATM :)

Pol, you're a seriously warped individual = my kinda gal! :) :) :)

Okay Andy, ya got me. I thought my giant cockroach and I could hide my twistedness but I guess one can't keep up a respectable façade forever ...

Tragic as it is, you have to admit that that would bring the crowds in - serious chops with serious gore :)

Okay Andy, ya got me. I thought my giant cockroach and I could hide my twistedness but I guess one can't keep up a respectable façade forever ...

Tragic as it is, you have to admit that that would bring the crowds in - serious chops with serious gore :)
Alice Cooper got close in the 70's, The Tubes went the debauchery route, & I like both of their shows :)

Alice Cooper got close in the 70's, The Tubes went the debauchery route, & I like both of their shows :)

Good point! At one stage we had two local shock rock bands playing the traps - Jimmy and the Boys and Rrats Bander. Thoroughly twisted. Great to see!

I'll never forget being right up front when Jimmy and the Boys played a cover of Zappa's I'm the Slime. During the extended solo at the end the singer, Iggy Jones - clothed only in jocks - smashed a watermelon over his head. The goo all the way ran down and dragged big drops of snot from his nose along the way. Totally nauseating but compelling viewing! Under the lights he looked like he was melting.

The next week Iggy announced the song and someone yelled out, "How about doing the watermelon, Ig!". He shook his head and said, "No way could I go through that again" lol

It should be said they were a classy band with hot musicianship. The combo of talent and lunacy is irresistible.

Back