Hitting the 'Buy Now' Button - Gretsch Renown - Help

David Kilkenny

Help me please, this was supposed to be a fantastic day.

For months and months I've been searching, making lists, choices and dreaming about the big buy. I no longer have any friends, the dog hasn't seen daylight since 2009 and even the guys in the band whisper and mutter about me in between sets!

At long last I have 4000€ to play with and all I need to do is hit the 'Buy Now' button........and I just can't! I keep going round and round in circles. I'm so used to buying in little bits, bartering, swapping and making do, I'm suffering from buying new guilt!!

Here's the more or less final list and I'd appreciate some answers to my questions:

Gretsch Renown Walnut Glaze : 20",14".12".10"...no problems here, it's set in stone!

Instant head changes : Remo Vintage A over Diplomat clears...Coated Ambassador Bass Batter, keep the Gretsch Reso : question... would ambassador clears be better resos or coated dips than the clear dips?

Hardware : Gibraltar Flat Base : 2 boom and a straight : question... are they sturdy enough to support the tom clamps and a cymbal?

HH stand : Tama 905N Iron Cobra...question...I have the Gib Flat stand should I change it? I'm not in love but it's ok
Bass Pedal : Tama Iron Cobra HP900FSN...I have an old Camco that's great...is this so much better? Is it too much for a 20"x14" BD

Cymbals: I think the new Paiste 602 set : 20 med ride, 18&16 thin crash and 14" Sound Edge HH : question I love the sound of the 21" Avedis Sweet Ride, should I swap it for the paiste 20? Both would be too much...any HH ideas?

Huge fat ass drum stool....no probs I've got a huge fat ass!

Drum mat and Tama tension watch....does it work well with die cast hoops?

And a load of sound stuff, cables and a new Mackie monitor.

I'd really like some comments so I can finally hit send!

Also there will be a huge drum stuff yard sale in the coming weeks...I'm having a clean out...tha'll be a nightmare too, I want to keep everything! If you live in Brittany, France, keep your eyes open for the sale!

I look forward to your help...so does the dog!

David

The money's not a gift or anything, I've worked and scrimped and sung my heart out for it!

Re/ cymbals I've binned the 602 ride and will go for the 21" A sweet ride and re Hi hats, I've binned the 602's and will go for Paiste, Sig Dark mark I's, more expensive but they sound beautiful

Please let me hear you're comments otherwise I'll end up spending the cash on a new boiler for the winter!!

Gretsch Renowns are killer drums, so I say pull the trigger on them for sure if it's what you've been after for months!

Paiste signature darks are also killer cymbals, but cymbals are far more of a personal preference, get the cymbals you think sound best regardless of make/line/size etc.

I know people that mount their toms off of flat based stands, they're a bit wobbly but generally they can take it. I would be more tempted to go for some sturdy single braced stands.

As for a drum stool I use a roc 'n soc, it's incredible! Any high end seat will suffice though, just try a load out!

I can't really give any more advice on the other things you mentioned.

George.

Thanks for the feed back!

I saw the Zil pack but it's just the sweet ride I was after...thanks anyway, it's a good deal though.

Bob's video brought me back down...clear Diplomats all the way! Cheers

Wouldn't it be great if you could borrow Bob Gatzen for an hour or so?

Right, as soon as dawn breaks and the World Cup Rugby is over I'm hitting send!!

Thanks to all

Back