Music I don't need to understand to make me smile.

Andy

Honorary Member
Horacio hernandez, Anthony Jackson, Michel Camilo, working pure magic. Most of the structure (apart from the hook & the stretch at the end) is so far beyond my rock brain arrangement comprehension, I just can't help smiling. I've listened to this 10 times over, & there's still a surprise around every corner. Perhaps this is akin to the joy a non musician gets from music. Apart from my early years, a pleasure that my blinkered playing has taken away from me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYsWadgm7o

I actually don't think that if you were to find the sheet music for the tune, it would look very difficult. But these three have such an immense surplus of musical and technical abilities, that they could leave anyone speechless. No matter what they're playing :D

And if I'm not completely mistaken, they're playing that tune like someone could normally play a jazz standard. A solo intro, presenting the themes, improvisation over the chord changes/different parts within the song structure and then returning to playing a theme to distinguish improvisational parts from each other. That is done either by one of them (usually the one playing solo) making a que (saying by facial expression: next time round, unison part(f.ex.)) or they could have set a number of times to play each part beforehand.

But no matter what, it still is as you said, a magical performance!

Back