Groin pain when double kicking

Esoremada

After a while of double kicking I get pain right at the muscle at the top of my legs. I know this is from using my legs to play instead of my feet, but I can't seem to stay steady when just moving my ankles. Can someone recommend practice/exercise techniques to improve my ability to play using my ankles instead of legs?

I would suggest spending some time playing heel down, and also try double strokes or bonham triplets with each foot to use your ankle a bit more. That's it really I think.

You also need to develop your quads.do some more walkin,running or just go up and down stairs.Exercise my friend.If you're getting groin pain,you better go see a doctor,as you may need one of those turn your head and cough exams.

Steve B

Oh so are you supposed to use your quads when double kicking? It's not an abnormal groin pain, it feels the same as if I pulled any other muscle and I get it after drumming for a while. Is this a problem I should fix by practicing and strengthening the muscle or changing my technique and trying to not use the muscle?

Oh so are you supposed to use your quads when double kicking? It's not an abnormal groin pain, it feels the same as if I pulled any other muscle and I get it after drumming for a while. Is this a problem I should fix by practicing and strengthening the muscle or changing my technique and trying to not use the muscle?

It's a problem that you should fix by first seeing a doctor for a proper diagnosis rather than relying on Dr. Internets for medical advice.

Sounds to me like you may have tension in your hip flexors. I used to get that a lot. Still do now and again. Some work on my throne height helped. An inch or two can make a big difference. As did stretching on both sides of the hip joint: i.e. groin, hip flexors, IT band, quads, hamstrings and - especially - glutes.

Balance on your throne has to be "learned" in the sense that the muscles that control your weight have to be strengthened and trained to do so. So, exercises aimed at strengthening your core muscles could be beneficial, I know that they have been for my back and hip tension caused/aggravated by playing. Improved attention to your balance, etc. on your throne is probably more important, even. Where's your weight?

It's a problem that you should fix by first seeing a doctor for a proper diagnosis rather than relying on Dr. Internets for medical advice.

With all due respect, it sounds fairly minor and running off to the MD for every tiny ache or pain with a clear cause (he drums, it hurts) seems like a bit of a waste of time and resources.

Why not try a throne adjustment, some stretching and examine his technique? If it works, no need for a doctor. If it persists, I'd worry.

I don't run to a doctor every time I lift something heavy and my muscles hurt the next day. Do you?

With all due respect, it sounds fairly minor and running off to the MD for every tiny ache or pain with a clear cause (he drums, it hurts) seems like a bit of a waste of time and resources.

Why not try a throne adjustment, some stretching and examine his technique? If it works, no need for a doctor. If it persists, I'd worry.

I don't run to a doctor every time I lift something heavy and my muscles hurt the next day. Do you?

I might if the heavy thing I lifted resulted in groin pain. I might, indeed.

But the OP didn't state: "I do X and then the next day, I feel Y." He says he feels pain "after a while of playing," which could be a sign of tendonitis. We really don't have a time window or other specifics needed to know what is actually going on, which pertains directly to my advice: if you are looking for advice, mine is to get another opinion... from a professional. Perhaps I'm alone in this view but I think the following formula is reasonable:

drumming + (groin + pain) = get medical advice

Although, it could probably be simplified to not even include drumming as a factor.

are we talking pain, discomfort, or soreness here?

huge difference

pain = doctor

discomfort = poor technique or seat height....or both

soreness = working muscle groups yr not used to working.....which could be from seat height

But Im not asking what the pain is from, it's from drumming because it happens when I drum, I was asking what to change to get rid of the problem.

Thanks for the answers, but I still have the question am I supposed to be using those muscles, or should all the movement be in my ankles? It's really hard for me to double kick fast with only my ankle.

This kind of reminds of my when I started playing guitar. I was moving my whole arm instead of my wrist to do double picking because it was easier to go faster. But I was tensing up my whole arm and getting pain after a while, now almost all the motion is in my wrist because I strengthened that muscle. So is it the same with drums? Except with my ankle instead of wrist. The reason I'm not sure is because Ive heard playing heel up gives more speed, why would this be true if you arent supposed to move your whole leg?

bump. I still have the same problem when i double kick really fast. Im pretty sure its because Im moving my whole leg so its stressing the muscle a lot more than if I just used my ankle. Can someone confirm this? Im surprised theres so little documentation of double kicker online.

Back