Check out this new Drum! Ironwood Hoops!

Hey all,

We got a rad new drum we want to show everyone.
Straight from the Drum Farmer himself(as the german forums have been calling him.)

Intact, Virgin drum Shell
Center Hoop Design, not floating, ability to tune either head differently.
Aluminum Hardware
Ironwood Hoops with Custom Structural inlays
Vertical grain shell
Real Custom hand crafted workmanship.

The sound transfer on this drum is phenomenal, the whole design lends to the transfer of vibration perfectly.

Links to the tuning and maintenance videos on youtube.

Video 1

Video 2

New website will be available within the month, old one is rough :D
prestigiouspercussion.com

We want all feedback.
We are in this to make a better drum, without die-casting and abusing the definition of custom.

Were not businessmen, we are drummers, we want the best, for you, for us.
Prestigious Percussion House of Drums

Your drums look very interesting. I like the look of them (especially the hoops), and the concept of all the hardware being mounted at the center of the shell is different indeed. but I would like to hear a recording of one.

Do you plan on releasing a video with some sound samples?

It's every drummers desire to have their products in their kit! Just always be sure to sit with whatever instrument you're considering buying and play it yourself to make sure it's got the right sound and the right fit. Have fun playing!

Thanks!

We are getting sound testing done at the University of Alberta on our Drum sound vibration transfer vs: Generic Drums. We will post that data when its compiled.
Our own sound research has already shown us significant difference.

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

As for videos, we are filming comparison videos, as well as drummers that use our products feedback.
Once those are released, we will be releasing testimonials from sound engineers on how much less buzz and distorted vibration our drums produce, not to mention once again the sound quality difference.
Then we will be attending all the major drum festivals and posting feedback online.

We are looking forward to all the feedback we receive as we hit the global media shortly.

This will be happening shortly, so if you would like to be updated, add us on:

facebook
twitter
youtube channel

have a great day!

Prestigious Percussion

Last edited:
Hi Prestigiouspercussion,

Interesting looking snare. I have a few questions, please. How is the center hoop held in place? Does it contact the shell? How does the center hoop provide resistance to the tightening of the tension rods to allow the two heads to be tensioned differently? What type of wood is the shell and how thick is it? Is it a ply, stave, block or one piece? What type of bearing edges and snare beds?

Thanks,

Barry

Last edited:
Hi Prestigiouspercussion,

Interesting looking snare. I have a few questions, please. How is the center hoop held in place? Does it contact the shell? How does the center hoop provide resistance to the tightening of the tension rods to allow the two heads to be tensioned differently? What type of wood is the shell and how thick is it? Is it a ply, stave, block or one piece? What type of bearing edges and snare beds?

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Barry!
I would love to answer all your questions.

Yes, the Center hoop contacts the shell and we bond the two using a custom, high strength epoxy resin compound.
Then we cure the compound and test the bond using several methods.
We do not call this a true floating center hoop, nor do we use a second shell like some. It is a hybrid floating shell that takes the best of both designs.
When tuning and releasing the Drum Heads, the only change you make to your routine is to slightly loosen one head before removing the other.
This ensures a very long life from your product.

Shells are 3/16" 9 ply birch, No snare bed,
I will post a closer picture of the hardware for your consumption.
DSC00717.jpg

The Ironwood Hoops are made from the Acacia Tree from Australia. Though we do like all wood from that family of tree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_estrophiolata
Purchased without terrorizing rain forests or indigenous people.

The Ironwood grains are placed in 90 degree pattern ply and inlayed with special compounds and structural. Which makes it plenty strong for any abuses given.

The tension bolts are recessed into the hoop, leading to a really nice smooth edge.
There is no hard lip to break sticks and finger knuckles, instead we utilize and emphasize another great playing surface on your kit, the rim.
If damaged...
Then its as easy as a 2 minute fine sand, then rub a natural wax into them if you choose to seal the grain. Presto brand new look and feel.

We also make Prestigious Ironwood hoops that will fit any generic drum sizes, so you can keep your sweet kit, yet still grow a more custom setup.
Its as easy as counting your lugs, and measuring between them.

We have Videos showing the Disassembly and Tuning of a Prestigious Drum here.
http://youtu.be/GLIEoA_ZTt0

As for bearing edges, that depends on the customer.
Nothing is set in stone with this drum, as we have pure Aluminum center hoops, limitless wood types and the ability to put any designs you want on the inside or outside of shell.
Using Water-jet and Design CAD's there is no limit to what it can look like.

Thank you for the feedback, its the best way we can make a better product.

Please do not hesitate to ask any more questions!
Also feel free to call me if you are interested in this. Number is on website.

Jesse Towne
Prestigious Percussion House of Drums
[email protected]
http://www.prestigiouspercussion.com

New Owner of a Prestigious Snare!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Kineticsniff/parkerkit.jpg

Overlords #7 snare for sale on Ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190492408034&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Last edited:
Great choice in heads! ;-)
Are those Puresound snares on there? Haven't seen anyone ever tie bows for the string before.

What?! you mean bowtied snare rope isn't the next big thing? hahaha! :D

Those are indeed Puresound Blaster snare, another one of our favorite companies.

We also only use Evans Heads, love tuning them and they resist blunt damage and blood quite well.

Gonna have to remind myself to buy some velcro shoes and give up knots...

I love the look of these drums and will start saving to buy one. My only problem is that I don't see a way of quickly changing a head if I have to de-tune the snare head to change the batter. I guess it's not that often but just a concern..Does you website have pricing.? I must say also that was one of the best "how to" videos I have ever heard on the assembly or disassembly of anything. I wish you much success with your drums. I would assume that any depth is possible and it would just mean turning longer lugs. thanks.

I thought that someone on this forum just started a drum company making drums very similar to this?

I thought that someone on this forum just started a drum company making drums very similar to this?

There is a few companies that put out similar products with varying degrees of difference.
As some use a second inside shell, but leads to heavier drums, good sound though.
Some actually float the shell fully.

These drums are also nothing like ours besides making sound.

Last edited:
I love the look of these drums and will start saving to buy one. My only problem is that I don't see a way of quickly changing a head if I have to de-tune the snare head to change the batter. I guess it's not that often but just a concern..Does you website have pricing.? I must say also that was one of the best "how to" videos I have ever heard on the assembly or disassembly of anything. I wish you much success with your drums. I would assume that any depth is possible and it would just mean turning longer lugs. thanks.

Thank you.
You are correct, any depth is possible, making our bass drums look sick! We will be posting more pictures once our snares hit the magz.
Our website is currently getting a nosejob, and the new page will be done within the month, it will include pricing, ordering, detailed information like I have released here, our band bios and more.
You are correct, if you need super fast head changes, you may find a drum that is built for that.
If you are looking for a high-end drum, for recording or other professional uses...
Once your accustomed to the tuning process, it doesn't take long at all.
Some people see zero need for such a high end drum, but many want and need something different and unique to enjoy.
And lets face it, the definition of "custom" is not necessarily what it should be nowadays....factories.

We are glad you enjoyed our in depth video by our "Drum Farmer" himself, short edit versions will be up soon.
Transparency is one of our goals.

We want to make you the best sounding drums possible. So we want all feedback, that feedback will only make us better.

Thanks!
Derek
Prestigious Percussion

Last edited:
Back