What is the new wipeout?

synergy

I remember drumming conversations when I was younger and before I played and the general consensus between non-musicians and drummers alike seemed to state that you wasnt agood drummer until you could play this song.

I've never cared for this song. Not that I couldnt play but it was from a different era and I just never connected with it. This meant it never had much status for me as a benchmark for my drumming etc.

So I was just wondering what would we class now as the 'modern wipeout'?

Steve Gadd's 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover. (Paul Simon)
Bonzos YYz... Not really sure what would be todays as these are both quite old.

In the early 80's I imagine it was Phill Collins' "In the Air Tonight."

In the late 80s, it was certainly "One" by Metallica. You had to know the middle section or else to be considered cool. LOL.

These days? I don't know. Not enough popular music even contains real drums anymore to have any one part be something everyone needs to know.

But you could certainly make a case for the "Amen" drum break being the modern "must know" drum part, even though it's origins are a 1969 recording.

I remember drumming conversations when I was younger and before I played and the general consensus between non-musicians and drummers alike seemed to state that you wasnt agood drummer until you could play this song.

Never played it........not one single time in 25 odd years. I guess it just confirms what I've known all along. I am crap!! :)

BTW, how do you play this song?....I've just had a very quick listen again after all these years (meant to be working so I can't listen any more until later). Sounds like paradiddles to me......am I remotely close?

In the early 80's I imagine it was Phill Collins' "In the Air Tonight."

In the late 80s, it was certainly "One" by Metallica. You had to know the middle section or else to be considered cool. LOL.

These days? I don't know. Not enough popular music even contains real drums anymore to have any one part be something everyone needs to know.

But you could certainly make a case for the "Amen" drum break being the modern "must know" drum part, even though it's origins are a 1969 recording.

Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper and Radar Love by Golden Earing were fun songs for a newbie.

GJS

Never played it........not one single time in 25 odd years. I guess it just confirms what I've known all along. I am crap!! :)

BTW, how do you play this song?....I've just had a very quick listen again after all these years (meant to be working so I can't listen any more until later). Sounds like paradiddles to me......am I remotely close?

They're single strokes with accents. You can tell they're singles because you can hear the guy getting fatigued by the end of the song. Plus, at the time of the recording, paradiddles weren't invented yet.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiOtouyBOg

Interesting take on the song by the original members about 20 years after the fact. Notice the guest drummer for the evening is Max Weinberg. Check out the original drummers technique...those accented singles using trad grip looks painful! And Bonzo's YYZ?...really? The new wipeout? Not sure, maybe "Rock and Roll" by Zep...the intro and the final etude could be the new litmus test. If you can play that, you're a good drummer!

i second that, playing bleed will make you a man!

even if your a woman...

Haha yeah man totally agree, I have the main groove down (As soon as it kicks in) but the rest, not a chance.

My goal was to be able to play 'My Generation' by Limp Bizkit. That groove really give me goosebumps when I first heard it and I strived to be able to play it.

Painkiller by Judas Priest is another but this just carries on down the metal road.

its been a while,but my friends and me still go nuts over block rockin beats by the chemichal brothers ..essentially an instrumental track bangin enough to resonate with the public conciousness of the time!...still rated in the top ten tracks by many..

I'm guessing "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith would of had this status at some point...if I had a pound for every time I'd heard a drummer play that at a soundcheck I'd be a very rich person!

Guilty as charged. Such a fun groove to play though.

At one point in the early 90s it was definitely Basket Case by Green Day.

Definitely. When I started playing (2002), all the drummers I knew in the "teenage punkrock scene" I was into, had these benchmarks: Basket Case by Green Day and most Enema of the State songs, like "Mutt" or "Dumpweed".

If you could play those you were definitely cool, haha.

Then John Otto had great influence too. At the time I couldn't believe that the intro of "my generation" was played with a single pedal, haha.

(The best part of remembering these things is that today, 8 years later, I can play them) :)

Cheers

Back