What do you think about the DW Drums Logo?

Nugget

I'm a graphic designer and I find the DW logo to be a very interesting one.

But before posting interesting facts about it, tell me what you think about it. It would be interesting to see if drummers perceive as I do.

This is ALL opinion:

It's OK, it doesn't make me drool. It has some classic elements to it, the feather thingys. It doesn't knock me out because the details are so small, you have to be right on top of it to really make anything out. From a distance forget it. The font they do the DW initials lacks personality, class.

Plus the logos and lugs cover up too much real estate. For thin shells with stamped hoops, those drums are heavy. It's a lot of metal weight. Must not matter much, because they will resonate a long time if you let it.

Still if DW changed their lugs and logo's I know I'd cheer. Those lugs are so labor intensive to get really clean.

Help me out here DW. You're breaking my back with lugs that are a mother to polish.

The Tama Starclassic logo, however they do that, is classy IMO. So is the Vintage Rogers script logo.

If DW changed their lugs and badges, I'd bet most would cheer. Surely they can do better than that.

I'd like to see it in the die cast hoop, an engraved? embossed? logo that could be colored in. I don't like anything covering up the wood. Or combine the logo with the lug. Make a really great standout lug with real style in the form of a company logo (that's easy to clean!) Are there no creative people? Just stay off the friggin wood! Duh!

But back to the design, even up close, it's just OK. I give it an even 5.

I never really cared until I bought a set. The logo looked childish to me, and that bothered me. I also hate their large lugs...I want to see the drum, not big round circles and a dorky looking badge. On some smaller drums, the drum almost gets lost between all that other crap.

At first I didn't think all that much of the logo but it has grown on me and I like it now. I like Pearl and Tama's as well. I too hated the lugs but they have grown on me as well. One thing I have come to appreciate is how well the tom mounting system disappears into the drum. Take a look and compare.

This one has some class. I do like it. It doesn't bore me like the others.

Attachments

• mainImage-jazz.jpg
    mainImage-jazz.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3,122
i do like the DW badge, i like everything about their drums, yes even the lugs and mounts !

those jazz series badges are the best of the lot though very nice.

DW has my favorite logo of all the drum companies. It's big and bold, more than just the brand name in plain text.

I always thought buying up Camco's tooling was a clever way to jump right in to the deep end. Obvious at a distance and came with a built in high end reputation (for those who remember Camco). Yeah they're big and clunky, but you can spot them from a mile away and that is a lot of marketing power.

The logotype is also easy to spot and distinctive. But not all that sexy unless you ascribe the cachet of the companies rep to it.

Personally, l like the Gretsch logo with the cymbal. Many years ago a graphic artist advised me that a logo should in some way imply what you do.

As far as nameplates stuck to drums, I think the Yamahas are the classiest. Although you can't tell what they are until you're right on top of them.

I hope this is clear enough:

I

HATE

THOSE

LUGS.

They look silly and even childish. They distract from the finishes DW produces, and if the lugs were changed, I'd be alright with owning a set.

I really like the DW look, all around. The round badges, the logo, and even the lugs look great. The lugs are rather pointless, being as big as they are. They don't serve any purpose and there isn't any magic, super-secret technology inside that make your drums superior to all others. They're completely hollow inside, save for the insert and spring. Kind of a waste...but I still think they look cool and give the drums an aggressive, unique look.

The logo is pretty brilliant, marketing wise. Simple. Clean. Timeless. Both the drums and the logo are memorable and instantly recognizable, even from a considerable distance.

What I don't care for is the sound. It's just not amazing. It's rather generic and uninteresting, really. That's what I hear and I'm just your average shmuck on the street, however. :)

What's that old silly saying .. oh yeah, Keep it simple stupid.

I guess because I'm older I no longer care what someone things about my look ... I only care that my music stands out.

I think their Pacific Platinum series has much better looking lugs. I always thought the big round ones look goofy and cheap. their lower case dw on their logo does nothing for me either. Trying too hard to be clever?

Personally, l like the Gretsch logo with the cymbal. Many years ago a graphic artist advised me that a logo should in some way imply what you do.

That's the challenge of logo design.

Time for interesting facts!

The tipography (type of letter) with wich the logo was made, is the Bauhaus 39. It was created during the 1930s, at a German Design School with the same name.

DW was founded in the 1970s. I suspect they have been using the same logo since then, but if that's true, here's the interesting part: the logo doesn't look old or outdated.

That's why I like the logo so much: for me, it looks slick and stylish, yet, it was made with a typography from 1930s, and it was made during the 70s. Even after all this years, it doesn't look old or outdated. That's the magic behind the logo.

I find it slick and modern. I don't know you guys. Maybe you're capable of detecting a 70s essence in the logo. Who knows, art is subjective.

I've always been a fan of the DW lugs and the logo. I've never really studied the badge, so I can't comment on that.

As a relative newcomer to drums, I would have to say that Yamaha is classic and unmistakeable from all it's other products - the tuning fork part of the logo is a good touch. The Sonor logo I like very much - simple and straight-forward. The Gretsch logo with the drum kit is truly awful. It's very childish and not in a good way.

Davo

I didn't quite finish. The Pearl logo is ... what can you say ... a word with a line underneath - not exactly inspiring. Mapex is a fraction more sassy with a double ellipse surrounding the word. Tama is better as it has an icon, either a T in it's side or a loudspeaker? But it looks bolder and more like a designed logo.

So in this context the DW logo hasn't got a great deal of competition. The font used for DW looks unique and stylish and by using drums in a small font above actually tells you what the company makes. So well done DW and Tama. The others are frankly a bit early 20th Century.

But that's all just my opinion, which means nothing of course.

Davo

Quite interesting when one looks closer. This Jazz badge states that the drums are assembled the US using parts that are made in the US and foreign countries. I thought they were strictly US made.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-01 at 9.36.10 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-01 at 9.36.10 AM.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 4,063
Most drum company logos I find to be relatively boring, including DW's. They're designed to be easily readable, though, so the companies can capitalize on free advertising from people using the instruments. From the major companies, I tend to like the Ludwig (the connected L and g logo), Gretsch and Pearl logos the best, I suppose. For the major cymbal manufacturers, I like the Zildjian logo the best.

My tastes tend more towards the ornate/baroque/busy/elaborate/gaudy, etc. when it comes to such things (and other things as well) . For example, one of my favorite band logos is the classic Aerosmith logo: http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/pics/9/890/4037/how-to-draw-the-aerosmith-logo-step-5.jpg . . . drum logos haven't tended to pursue that direction much

Back