Opinions on mis-matched drums

Neil

Hi guys,

What are peoples opinions on having drums that are different finishes? My Mapex Pro M is cherry fade, I've got my eye on a 14" Floor Tom that is a Pro M but in caramel fade...I can't make up my mind if it'll look really lame or not..

It *could* be cool. Some people like to "jellybean" their kits. I did that with some drums I had a while ago (blue sparkle kick drum, red sparkle snare, silver sparkle floor, gold sparkle tom). It was interesting for a few gigs, and I had a LOT of audience members ask about the kit, like if I had tons of kits at home and just miss-matched them, etc...

Just one tom, though. That's a tough call. If it sounds good to you, then I'd say do it and don't let the social pressure to have a matching kit get to you...

In this case, I'd keep your eye open for a 14" floor that matches. Just be patient.

I personally don't like it, but I'm very OCD about things matching. My kit is silver sparkle, and my snare is silver. I could never put a black or red snare on my kit, no matter how nice it sounded.

Yup, I'm weird but that's how I am =D

The only problem is I've been watching e-bay on and off for 18months and haven't seen a cherry fade FT. Hmm decisions!

I'd wait and get a matched drum. That said, I have seen a great mismatched kit of Slingerland and Gretsch from the 1930's to 1950's. They were banged up but oozed vintage. They sounded really good too. The killer was that the drummer pulled out a golf bag and put his hardware in that after he finished his gig!

GJS

Don't do it. Get the match. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

My opinion is that if you're OK w/ it, then that's all that matters. Your snare drum doesn't match, right? I guess it would depend on how much value you place on visual asthetics.
Would Buddy Rich be any less awesome if just his floor tom was a Duco finish?

If you do go mismatched, proudly own it, and don't apologize to anyone about it. You will put yourself in a much better light than if you are apologizing for it. On a different note, having a mismatched drum could make you a bit more memorable to the ones who notice these things.

If you're a great drummer with a mismatched set, you're cool. If you suck with a mismatched set, then you will probably be viewed even more poorly than the guy who sucks that has a matching set ha ha.

If you can coordinate the mismatch, it can work.

For example, let's say you have kick-mounted toms. Get those toms to match the kick. But then your two floor toms are of a different color, but one that fits within a theme of the others. Then you have your snare which can be whatever the heck you want it to be.

I like mismatched kits. They are very "percussion" and I like that! :)

I personally don't like it, but I'm very OCD about things matching. My kit is silver sparkle, and my snare is silver. I could never put a black or red snare on my kit, no matter how nice it sounded.

Yup, I'm weird but that's how I am =D

Ha, i kind of have that problem too.

I think mismatched kits look good on 2 conditions...
1. You split the kit equally between 2 finishes that look good together
2. Its an acrylic kit

All good reponses, my thoughts are:

a) I've been waiting for a long time for a matching finish 14" Floor tom
b) I can get a non-matching one for £150 brand new, where as a matching one would be £250+
c) Most of the venues I play in are quite dark and it's going to be mostly hidden behind my kick and ride stand.

my finish is like this http://www.mapexfrance.com/images/news/wnamm2005/pro-m.jpg
the floor tom is like this http://usa.mapexdrums.com/images/news/PM6296TF_300.jpg

And yes my snare doesn't match at all! Surely if it sounds good then it doesn't matter... I just get the feeling that when I look at my kit I'm going to be like 'That Floor tom ruins it'

Those 2 finishes don't clash with each other in a bad way if you ask me.
Maybe some female members can share some of their female sensibilities about the effect that a mis matched kit has on them, just for a different perspective.

just get the feeling that when I look at my kit I'm going to be like 'That Floor tom ruins it'

You should trust what that little voice is saying, because it's how you really feel.

My suggestion: Head on over to Center Stage M and ask if anyone has that tom. The Mapex Superstore also browses the forum and could possibly give you a good deal.

And I have seen toms in that fade on eBay :| Just.... eBay America.

My suggestion: Head on over to Center Stage M and ask if anyone has that tom. The Mapex Superstore also browses the forum and could possibly give you a good deal

Oh cool, I didn't know that, I'll check that out.

Or how about...

I was just on ebay and there is 16x16 in cherry fade, i.e identical to the one I have, is it worth snapping that up and tuning it differently, would that even be viable?

If you had posted this thread a few weeks ago (first week of jan) it would have been a different story. There was a Cherry Fade Pro-M 14" floor on ebay for £100 brand new....I know because I almost bought it - obviously I would have passed on the information. I do believe it got sold as its not been relisted but I shall keep my eye out for you good sir.

Although I think having a second 16" and tuning it differently might help. Just out of interest is it the same depth because I believe I have seen some Pro-M 16 x 14 floors, and some 16 x 16's aswell. In which case getting a different depth would help the drum establish its own identity aswell!

Cheers man and props for buying a cherry fade Pro-M - You know they are the best drum kits ever ;-)

It'd be weird for me personally if it was a gigging kit, but you didn't mention if this was the case? If it were a studio or rehearsal kit, I wouldn't care. I second Center Stage M though, if they can't help, eBay is likely your last hope.

Back