Need some Latin/Afro-Cuban albums

madgolfer

I am getting into Latin drumming and music and, while I like much of what I hear, I have no idea where to start. Can any of you suggest about 10-20 discs I could check out? Would love to hear a good blend of traditional versus w. drumset. Don't care about chops, just good music and grooving. I have already checked out El Negro and Antonio Sanchez, and would love to know what the definitive discs are with these two guys.

Thanks in advance.

Performers with their bands:

Oscar D' Leon - Salsa
Hector Lavoe - Salsa
Tito Puentes - Salsa
Celia Cruz - Salsa
Ruben Blades - Salsa
Willie Colon - Salsa
Las Chicas del Can - Merengue
Juan Luis Guerra - Merengue
Wilfrido Vargas - Merengue
Olga Tanon - Merengue
Los Melodicos - Merengue y Bailable.
Billo's Caracas Boys - Merengue y Bailable.
Elvis Crespo - Merengue

Last edited:
Performers wtih their bands:

Oscar D' Leon - Salsa
Hector Lavoe - Salsa
Tito Puentes - Salsa
Celia Cruz - Salsa
Ruben Blades - Salsa
Willie Colon - Salsa
Las Chicas del Can - Merengue
Juan Luis Guerra - Merengue
Wilfrido Vargas - Merengue
Olga Tanon - Merengue
Los Melodicos - Merengue y Bailable.
Billo's Caracas Boys - Merengue y Bailable.
Elvis Crespo - Merengue

Good list. I would add:

Anything by Munequitos de Matanzas, Cachon, Perez Prado, Machito and his Afro-Cuban Orchestra. Tito Puente isn't Cuban, but did much to popularize the music so he is worth checking out.

Lazaro Ros for the spiritual Santeria folkloric style

For more contemporary playing: Irakere, Los Van Van, Havana Abierta.

The Buena Vista Social Club is a very popular multi-milllion selling album, but don't hold that against it. Lots of great performers on there.

I second the radio idea. Lots and lots of latin folklore if you check out their stations.

Also, for brillant latin/jazz/fusion drumming check out Julio Barreto on "Live & Rhythm" or "Iyabó". Mindblowing drumming performances, although the drum sound is too dry for my taste.

Edit: there's one sample of each album I mentioned on this site under his name, I realized. http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Julio_Barreto.html

A few that come to mind:

Tito Puente - "Tambo", "Party With Puente", "Dance Mania", "Top Percussion"

Poncho Sanchez - "Baile Mi Gente", "Afro-Cuban Fantasy"

Joe Cain - "Latin Explosion"

Tito Rodriguez - "Live At Birdland"

Machito - "Mucho Macho Machito"

Wy Yung has a good idea. Let me esspand that a little.

Go to Shoutcast.com http://www.shoutcast.com/ Choose a genre, and start jammin'! Shoutcast has everything! They got Latin Salsa, Latin Jazz, Latin.... and Latin Latin!

Que bueno!

here are some great CDs to start with. Any questions, please feel free to write me here and cc to [email protected]

Chuck

1. The Sun of Latin Music-Eddie Palmieri This was the first latin album I owned, a gift from the great Cuban pianist Paquito Hechevarria. On first listen I had everything turned upside down, but little by little the timbale mastery of Nicky Marrero proved to be a wonderful introduction into the world of clave.

2. Jam Session #2-Cachao I remember driving all over Miami looking for these Descarga albums. When you found one, it was like finding a treasure. The solo and ensemble playing, it¤s like the University of Cuban Music! A must!

3. Jam Session with Feeling-Cachao Both of these albums have stood the test of time. There is magic in these songs, played by the likes of Cachao, Guillermo Barraett, Tata Guines, Walfredo Reyes Sr., et al. These are true classics and an absolute must.

4. Indestructible-Ray Barretto Whenever a friend or student wants to know what salsa is, thi is the album I recommend. Little Ray Romero absolutle smokes and the piano artistry of is second to none. Great tunes, solos, coros and inspiraciones.

5. Latest CD-Los Papines It¤s so difficult to pick out any one CD from Los Papines. They have had quite an influence on me, as a drummer, and as a lover of Afro-Cuban music. This CD is one of their best. Funky, comical, musical, roots, and just plain great. Check it out!!

6. Top Percussion-Tito Puente One of the first albums I owned and what a good thing for me. A mountain of wonderful music featuring Tito, Mongo, Willie Bobo, and other important musicians. A must for the Afro-Cuban percussionist.

7. La Leyenda-Tito Puente Which albums of Tito to recommend? Well over a hundred have been recorded and, even though I¤ve heard less than half, I¤m quite sure that they all swing. But this one is something special to me. The singing is sweet and lyrical, the band is swinging hard, and Tito... another must.

8. Tipica 73-Album with ÏXiomaraÓ Nicky Marrero was a major influence on my playing. I recently met up with him in Europe and told hom how much his playing has affected so many drummers. He continues to burn.

9. Mejor Que Nunca-Conjunto Libre Conjunto Libre has consistently been a band to turn to for non-stop funk. Who compares to Manny Oquendo for driving a band (well, there¤s Kako, Tito, Enrique Pl…...). There¤s wonderful writing here; sure to make you want to forget about the arroz can pollo, grab the one you love and start dancin¤!

10. New Libre-Conjunto Libre Manny Oquendo¤s one of my alltime favorites. Always swingin¤, always soulful. Manny¤s always surrounded himself with the finest musicians, and this disc is no different. It¤s Libre at it¤s grooving best.

11. Grupo Experimental Nuevayorquino The beginning of Conjunto Libre and the roots are strong! Great tunes, solos, and all the fixin¤s make this one of my most well worn classics!

12. Best of Eddie Palmieri Once again, too many great Eddie Palmieri albums to recommend so go for the best of. And it truly is a best of album. To my ears, if Eddie Palmieri¤s anything he¤s a consistent taker of challenges which is something attractive to this drummer.

13. Hoy y Ma³ana-Los Kimbos A very funky band featuring Orestes Vilato, another one in the line of influential drummers in my life. Orestes¤ solos are a wonder to behold and this band is highly recommended.

15. La M…quina y El Motor-Kako , Totico y El Tabuco I like funky things and Kako fills the bill. The tracks are filled with grooves that will thrill the dancer in you. Totico sings his butt off and the sum of it all is a great album.

16. Patato y Totico What am I going to say that hasn¤t been said before? A true classic which we are lucky to be able to participate in as listeners and learners.

17.Songo-Los Van Van This was a hard choice so I picked one of my favorite Van Van sides. Changito is one of my major influences and his artwork is featured on a majority of the work.

18. Our Man in Havana-Mongo Santamaria A rare album featuring my good friend Paquito Hechevarria. In the mold of the Cachao descargas this side features a lot of jamming and great playing.

19. Haciendo Bailar Al Pueblo and Pre-Edicion, Varadero 81-Orquesta Aliamen Aliamen is one of my ultimate favorites. The groove of charanga, Cuban charanga, is something basic like air or water. It¤s one of life¤s necessities and it just makes you dance.

20. Son 14 Led by Adalberto Alvarez, Son14 is one of my favorite Cuban groups. Sure they¤re no longer operating as a group but their music lives on. Wonderful sones with great playing will insure many hours of listening and dancing.

20 alternate Adalberto Alvarez y Su Son After Son 14 broke up, Adalberto put together this great group. Like many of the other fine Cuban groups, Adalberto Alvarez y Su Son grooves with all the best of them. I heard this group in Cuba and the club was alive with fire and passion. A great band.

21. Puros Como el Son Cubano-Maravillas de Florida I love this album. It swings with the real style of Cuban music. It¤s like a good cup of cafe cubano, hot, sweet, and strong.

22. En la Calle-NG LA Banda I first heard this band and said ÏyesÓ this is it. A new blend of Afro-Cuban roots with the wonderful drummer blazing some new trails. A great grooving CD featuring ÏLos Metales del Terror!Ó Great music.

23. Echale Limon-NG la Banda One of the great pop bands of Cuba, NG La Banda is a wonderful mix of Afro-Cuban rhythms and melodies and American funk, the crossover is dynamic and awesome.

24. Super Tipica de Estrellas A rare album but one of my very favorites. It is pura charanga with full string section that absolutle transports you back to Cuba. There vrsion of La Negra Tomasa is an absolute classic.

25. 30 Años-Ritmo Oriental Once again, a dilemma. Which albums to recommend. Ritmo Oriental has just released two Ïbest ofÓ compilations which may be your best bet to check out these trailblazers in the world of music. A must!

26. Aquellos Tiempos del Septeto Nacional One of my favorite albums just for its shear roots. Classic songs. For the serious or casual listener I highly recommend this album.

27. Eddie Palmieri -La Perfecta (album w/ ÏTema de ApolloÓ and/or album with ÏSabroso GuaguancoÓ) I go for the funk and this band defines the word. As I¤ve stated here, Manny Oquendo¤s one of my all time favorite percussionists and he doesn¤t let me down on this CD. It¤s classic NY salsa from a bygone era. A real must for every afficionado.

Attachments

• philmaturano9.jpg
    philmaturano9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,410
here are some great CDs to start with. Any questions, please feel free to write me here and cc to [email protected]

Chuck

Thanks for that list Chuck. I think starting the voyage into Afr-Cuban music can be a bit daunting for a beginner. I would assume anything with Tito Puente, Machito or Eddie Palmieri would be a good place to start.

I was watching some of your video the Latin-Funk connection the other day. In particular the part of Bernard Purdy, which was very informative and well presented. I will be picking that up this week. If I have any question I know where to find you

Last edited:
My first "latin" record was The Sun of Latin Music by Eddie Palmieri. After that, I was pretty much hooked. I was coming from a background of rock, funk, R&B and some jazz. At that time I was around 22 or so. After that, I got into Cachao and the descarga records. Listened to folkloric stuff without knowing what it was! I bought records featuring rumba groups like Muñequitos de Matanzas, AfroCuba de Matanzas and Los Papines. I really didn't know what I was listening to but I sure liked it! Now, most fortunately, I've met most of these wonderful people and learned from them, in Cuba.
Whatever help you need, consider me a friend.
Chuck

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Time to get started!

Check out the book Chuck wrote with Chanquito. You can easily adapt it to kit.

I picked up Sun of Latin Music, which is out of print. Most of those songs are on Gold with Lalo Rodriquez, which I already owned, so you could also pick that up instead. Since Sun of Latin Music is going for $60.00, I guess it was a good investment. :)

Another good one is
Dafnis Prieto Taking the Soul for a Walk

Back