Wow. I have to share this with someone.

Knowbuddy

Last night, around 7:30, I anxiously approached the old and worn venue in Atlanta, GA that has been the stage for a countless amount of the world's best musicians, The Variety Playhouse. I was busy scrambling around in my head trying to prepare myself for what was coming, and I had no idea what to expect.

I wait in line for a few minutes and purchase my ticket (awesome! not sold out!). I find a seat by myself over to stage left behind a small 4 piece drum set and wait, on the edge of my seat.

Finally the lights dim and here they come, none other than Chick Corea, John McLaughlin and the one and only, Brian Blade (along with probably the best bass (Christian McBride) and sax (Kenny Garrett) players I have ever seen.

They waved, and immediately launched into the most complex, perfectly played, unbelievably talent-filled, high-energy, fun, happy, humble, and at the same time seemingly effortless show I have ever (and maybe will ever) seen.

These are (some of) the masters I was watching.

For the first time ever, I didn't clap for a soloist after his solo, I clapped for the BAND after his solo (soloist included, of course). These 5 men were astonishing. The way that these songs were put together was like nothing I had ever heard before (thanks, Chick...).

Have some of you ever sat down and watched something like this, and immediately just wanted to leave and go home and practice till your arms fall off? Well, multiply that by about 10 and you'll approach how I was feeling while watching Brian Blade. If you haven't seen or heard much from him, go search. For the first time I FULLY understand what it means to have a perfect touch. This is definitely one of my new favorite drummers. I knew he was good, and I've seen some videos, but nothing could have really prepared me for seeing him live. He was perfect.

I'm sure some of you Jazz aficionados have seen something like this before, but at one point these guys began a rotating solo somewhere around 200bpm. Chick would solo and the SECOND he would stop, John McLaughlin would start, then Christian, then Kenny, all the while Brian Blade was in the background absolutely KILLING it and NEVER stepping on any of their toes. They "passed" this solo around for a few minutes and it was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen PERFECTLY executed.

Sorry to ramble, but I went to this show alone and the whole ride back I just wanted to ask someone DID YOU SEE THAT? DID YOU SEE WHAT THOSE GUYS JUST DID?

Unfortunately, I couldn't, so I wanted to at least past this on to some of you guys who, like me, appreciate perfected musicianship.

I think they're wrapping their tour up, but if they are still coming to your city, DROP EVERYTHING AND GO.

GO.

SEE.

THIS.

SHOW.

You won't regret it.

I just want to thank the 5 guys who helped (as much as anyone ever has) influence me to buckle down and become the best musician I can.

Wow, I am still in awe.

~B

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this basically a Chick Corea tour stop or just some inpromptu Atlanta gig??
I ask so that I can look for them in my area.

You got blown away. And some new windows got opened up in your head, it seems.

The nicest feeling in the whole world. Its what this life is for..

thanks for sharing.

Brian is an incredible drummer. Seen him once and will be seeing him in Chicago this friday the same show you mentioned.....should be killer.

Great to hear...I love Chick Corea's stuff...saw him in the past and loved it...sounds like you had an excellent experience which is want good music is all about...thanks for sharing. I will have to check to see if he is coming to Diego anytime soon.

It sounds like you had a wonderful experience! Your description made it sound amazing. That's what being a professional musician is all about. No need to brag or boast, or have a universe-sized ego. They let their music speak for itself. Thanks for sharing that!

I sir, am jealous. Brian blade is my one of my top fav player and theres no words to even describe my envy. I know your feelings 100%. Keep playing brotha

There is absolutely NOTHING like seeing a show like that! Nothing in the world. I haven't seen it but I know that feeling. I felt like that when I saw Jeff Beck in Orlando, Florida a few years back. Vinnie was so, so, killin' that night. So was everyone else. Back in college Zildjian had the first American Drummer Achievement Awards at the Berklee Performance Center. I didn't have the money to go but my roommate's parents bought him a ticket. They honored Louis Bellson, Max Roach, Roy Haynes and Elvin Jones. The performers were, Terri Lyne Carrington, Peter Erskine, Steve Gadd and Marvin "Smitty" Smith. Mannnnnn, when my roommate Mike came back, it was at least 11:30 or 12:00 Midnight. He was so floored with the performances!!!!! He talked to me about for like two minutes and and then was like, "Dude, I gotta play, I gotta play, I gotta play!" He took his entire kit, like six pieces, four cymbals plus the hats, down 5 floors to the basement a Comm Ave to go play. He didn't come back in until like 5:30 AM!!! I had never had that feeling before. And to see Mike like that made me want to experience that so badly. Fortunately for Berklee students, there are so many great performances that we can experience over the course of our tenure at Berklee. By both students and our heroes. Awe inspiring performances.

I'm so glad that you had that experience!

Thanks for the responses guys! Sorry it took me a day to get back to check the board. It was a stop on the world tour with the Five Peace Band like Pavlos pointed out.

Yeah, I was blown away. I have been thinking non-stop about the ways I can improve my practicing/playing since I saw it.

You guys wont be disappointed that are going to see it.

~B

Christian McBride Is without a doubt my favorite bassist! I listen to him all the time! What an unexpected pleasure that must have been!

I didn't see them with Blade(which would be cool),... but I drove 32 hours round trip last week to see Vinnie's last night with the group in Denver. My first time seeing Vinnie. When I sat down in my seat in front of the group (They were half way through the first tune), I got chills down my spine. I've seen approx. 140 different concerts, and this was definitely the best to date, and will be near impossible to top. I'm a huge fan of Blade also, and to anyone who is undecided about seeing this group, stop reading this now!, and go buy your ticket. The whole group was ridiculously good. I'm still smiling!!

Ahh, you've seen one super group you've seen 'em all. :)

I'm going to see these in four weeks at Jazz at Lincoln Center. I've been looking so forward to it especially since I bought the ticket with my subscription back in the summer of 2008. I was disappointed that Vinnie dropped out to go on tour with Jeff Beck. Beck is in town next week so I may go see that. Your raves only make me more anxious about the 5 Peace Band..

Back