DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,413
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Bill Ward's drumming on the two first Black Sabbath albums, dark blues!
Ian, LOL! More like Prussian Blue.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
imadrumma imadrumma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Willie "Bigeyes" Smith..... check out Im A Man on Muddy Waters / Johnny Winters album, Hard Again. Also, The prior thread on Pinetop.... that was most likely Bob Carter, or me, Eddie Kobek I was Willie Bigeyes Smiths drummer for many years. Willie blew harp on a Bo Diddley cut back in the day and he has returned to harmonica as his instrument of choice. I toured for years with Willie Smith, Hubert Sumlin, Pinetop Perkins, etc.... I also have worked with Sam Lay (he now plays guitar as well). I could go on for hours on this subject, Ive been a Chicago Blues drummer for 25 years now, the list of greats also contains those hard working club drummers that may have never made it on to wax.
My Discography:
Lil Arthur Duncan - Chicago Blues Today at the Herold Washington Library - 2001
Dusty Brown - Chicago Blues Today at the Herold Washington Library - 2001
Rob Stone & The C Notes - Just My Luck - 2003 Earwig Music Company Inc.
Chris James & Patrick Rynn - Stop and Think About It - 2008 Earwig Music Company Inc.
Chris James & Patrick Rynn - Gonna Boogie Anyway - 2010 Earwig Music Company Inc.
Big Pete Pearson - 2009 Southwest Musical Arts Foundation Records / VizzTone label Group
Dave Riley - Lucky To Be Living - 2009 Blue Witch Records
I share tracks with Sam Lay & Willie Hayes (Jr. Wells drummer), also the piano on many tracks is played by Henry Gray (Howlin Wolf's piano man and Chess records session player).
PS - I was given a pair of sticks...... from SP Leary, he was a wonderful man.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,241
Default Re: Best blues drummers

It's a privilige to have you here Mr. Kobek. I'd love to hear some inside stories on Hubert Pinetop and Willie, not looking for dirt, just insights.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
imadrumma imadrumma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Heres some inside track on Pinetop, Willie and Hubert - the bass player is Bob Stroger. Bob's background is with Fenton Robinson, Sunnyland Slim......and many more. He is the key to making the groove real and genuine. Sure it sounds like Hubert Sumlin or Pinetop Perkins, but the groove under it all is Stroger. I always kept it real, my own style was sure to be in the music, however, when "Bigeyes" is on the bandstand, or Hubert Sumlin.... your always aware of where this music started from. Put down a root to the musics origin and let the music play its self.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Love the Blues, is it just me or the genre but to me the Blues is the only Genre I love to listen to Live and in person but seems to lose something on recordings? I can't put a finger on it but I have always felt this way even before I started playing drums. I wish there were blues clubs around here in NH but no such luck.

I been listening to some of your work on youtube Mr.Kobek and man that is some smooth playing.. I am still learning but the hardest part to me is always leaving space. Thanks for joining us here on this site and turning me on to some new stuff to listen too..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Michael McDanial Michael McDanial is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 288
Default Re: Best blues drummers

I have to go with Sam Lay for sure. That first album by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band is one of my all-time favorite albums, no matter what genre.
__________________
If you cannot tell the difference between a fact and an opinion, then that's your problem, not mine.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Aeolian's Avatar
Aeolian Aeolian is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Posts: 2,013
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Sam Lay, all over Chicago's finest records.

Current traditional blues drummer who really gets it, June Kore (Little Charlie and the Nightcats, currently with Musslewhite). Guy swings like no tomorrow and has the most amazing left hand I've ever seen. June plays the old styles like he invented them. No affectation, just grooving like a mother.

More modern in background and approach but with a great connection to tradition is Randy Hayes (Chris Cain: Live at the Rep, Unscheduled Flight, with Coco Montoya for the last several years). Randy has some of the best ears and anticipation of anyone. He always seems to be a step ahead of the rest of the guys. You can hear him playing blues rock really well by looking up WHaT or Wedemeyer (the guitarist) on YouTube.

Ron E. Beck was the guy that took Garabaldi's place in Tower, but he can really do the blues. Almost a Zigaboo kind of feel underneath things. There's an album out called Blue Monday with Cliff Coulter, Chris Cain and Danny Hull that's a great mix of blues and R&B.

Steve Jordan lets Mayer get his blues fix and does his grooving thing. He's really killer on the dead slow things where his sense of space and ability to keep time over such long gaps really brings the drama of a slow blues.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McDanial View Post
I have to go with Sam Lay for sure. That first album by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band is one of my all-time favorite albums, no matter what genre.
Are you talking about the self titled one that came out in 65?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Michael McDanial Michael McDanial is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 288
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Are you talking about the self titled one that came out in 65?
Yes, I listen to that one all the time.
__________________
If you cannot tell the difference between a fact and an opinion, then that's your problem, not mine.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadrumma View Post
Heres some inside track on Pinetop, Willie and Hubert - the bass player is Bob Stroger. Bob's background is with Fenton Robinson, Sunnyland Slim......and many more. He is the key to making the groove real and genuine. Sure it sounds like Hubert Sumlin or Pinetop Perkins, but the groove under it all is Stroger. I always kept it real, my own style was sure to be in the music, however, when "Bigeyes" is on the bandstand, or Hubert Sumlin.... your always aware of where this music started from. Put down a root to the musics origin and let the music play its self.
Glad to have you on the forum too.

I saw Willie and Pinetop a few years ago back in Seattle. I have always been a fan of Muddy Waters and it was a pleasure getting to spend some time with Willie just to let him know how much I appreciate his work. I would love to hear more about these gentlemen who don't get nearly the respect they deserve.

Random trivia fact: Pinetop and Willie can be seen in John Lee Hooker's band in ''The Blues Brothers" movie.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Most Everywhere
Posts: 1,915
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Every drummer mentioned on this thread owes at least some part of his blues playing to Jo Jones, who people forget played blues about 80% of the time. The blues genre as we know it today wasn't modernized in Chicago first. That happened in Kansas City...and the king of that crowd was Jones.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Michael McDanial Michael McDanial is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 288
Default Re: Best blues drummers

I must also add that I really enjoyed Derek Roddy's blues playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCZF...eature=related
__________________
If you cannot tell the difference between a fact and an opinion, then that's your problem, not mine.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,063
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Every drummer mentioned on this thread owes at least some part of his blues playing to Jo Jones, who people forget played blues about 80% of the time. The blues genre as we know it today wasn't modernized in Chicago first. That happened in Kansas City...and the king of that crowd was Jones.
Sorry, Matt, but that's not at all true. It was the migration of hundreds of thousands of black workers, share croppers and such, and their families to the north, mostly Chicago, in the thirties and forties of the last century that is responsible for electric blues and its offshoots, the most obvious one being rock 'n roll.

I very much doubt that any of the southern blues players who relocated to Chicago had ever heard of Jo Jones, although I guess it's possible. But jazz had little if any influence on blues music when it was first being played in the Chicago south side bars. It was pretty much the same raw and visceral music that had been played in Mississippi, and it stayed that way for a long time.

It's true that Fred Below, the drummer for Little Walter's band The Aces, got interested in the drums after hearing Chick Webb. But the truth is that it was the guitar players who coached the drummers on what to play back then, for the simple reason that drums were a relatively new addition to the music.
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Soko Richardson is someone you never hear mentioned here. I saw his playing with John Mayall many moons ago and he was a blues powerhouse.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Chermen's Avatar
Chermen Chermen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tajikistan
Posts: 31
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Nor one song, more in the pocket than: “What kind of woman is this” by Buddy Guy, unfortunately, I don’t know the name of drummer.
And don’t forget about Matt Abts, one of the few white guys, who playing blues correctly.

Last edited by Chermen; 12-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Frost's Avatar
Frost Frost is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 904
Default Re: Best blues drummers

I also love Bonham.

+1 to Aeolian though for mentioning the very brilliant, very under-rated Steve Jordan, from John Mayer Trio, he has also played with a ton of renowned artists like Stevie Wonder, The Stones and on the Blues Brothers album.
__________________
A disquiet mind at therapy with the music.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Kenny Allyn's Avatar
Kenny Allyn Kenny Allyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 342
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Speaking of the "Blues Brothers" ... you still see Willie Hall playing around here some nights down on Beale street.

Someone earlier mentioned the blues of Memhis own Eric Gales, he played with a guy named "Hot" Cleveland who is one badd mofo. Lots of the local cats around here can really lay down some nice blues in all its forms some of the first call guys are Dennis Falanga, Tony Adams, Big Harry Peel and WC Garrison ... if your in Topeka catch Steady Kevin Eddy or in Saint Louis maybe Jo Meyer

Oh and I gotta mention Calep Emphrey BB Kings drummer for many years (now lives in Jackson MS) and Rod Bland Bobbys son who is seen around here a lot locally and with his dads band.

Here is a little Eric Gales for ya ...

Eric Gales guitar
Jason Foree guitar
Robert Kessling … Berklee College of Music in Boston grad on drums
Kenny Allyn on bass ... hey that's me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-Pf3hrOvM
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,186
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Toss Panos does great work with Michael Landau.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
imadrumma imadrumma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Sorry, Matt, but that's not at all true. It was the migration of hundreds of thousands of black workers, share croppers and such, and their families to the north, mostly Chicago, in the thirties and forties of the last century that is responsible for electric blues and its offshoots, the most obvious one being rock 'n roll.

I very much doubt that any of the southern blues players who relocated to Chicago had ever heard of Jo Jones, although I guess it's possible. But jazz had little if any influence on blues music when it was first being played in the Chicago south side bars. It was pretty much the same raw and visceral music that had been played in Mississippi, and it stayed that way for a long time.

It's true that Fred Below, the drummer for Little Walter's band The Aces, got interested in the drums after hearing Chick Webb. But the truth is that it was the guitar players who coached the drummers on what to play back then, for the simple reason that drums were a relatively new addition to the music.
Here is a conversation I had with a very good friend, Dave Myers, on Fred Below. Dave was the Aces guitar / bass player. -
Fred Below was a military educated drummer. That could mean formally a drummer in the military or learned from a military trained drummer while in the service. Im leaning toward the latter. When he returned to Chicago in 1951, it was Dave and Lewis that picked him up first, forming the Aces. In the early days of Belows development as a Chicago blues drummer, his style wasnt so quick to catch on. That military rigid style took some time to soften up. Lil Walter told Dave that Below wasnt gonna work out. Dave would reply "hold on for just a little while longer". If you watch Below play, he remained "stiff" however put enough grease in it to make it work. So in part your right, it was the guitarists, Dave and Lewis that brought Below along. Whats important to know is that The Myers brothers were educated musicians, as was Below. Together they worked it out. Side note, Dave Myers played the first electric bass in the city of Chicago, that being one of the first electric basses to be played publicly. (see Bass Player magazine, the one with Bootsy on the cover) That wasnt well received at first either, but when it was, along with Belows playing, the club scene went crazy for that sound.
As for the jazz influence. Little Walter couldnt stay out of the jazz clubs in Chicago, he loved that sound.
I recorded with Dave Myers on an Earwig Records release - Rob Stone & the C - Notes Just My Luck - 2003 Earwig Music Company Inc. He was a very close personal friend.

Last edited by imadrumma; 12-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Aeolian's Avatar
Aeolian Aeolian is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Posts: 2,013
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Toss Panos does great work with Michael Landau.
I absolutely love the live Landau albums with Toss on drums. But for blues, check out his work with Robben Ford. He's only on one formal release that is a live album, but you can find a ton of youtubes. Toss has the most amazingly greasy groove, and he sits back tastefully playing the blues with very little embellishments. I've seen him with Robben a bunch of times and he rapidly became one of my favorite drummers. He and Travis Carlton are a killer rhythm section.

Speaking of Robben, the greasiest shuffle I've heard is Charlie Drayton on Lateral Climb from Robben's Truth album. Most of the rest of the album is Vinnie who played a lot with Robben back in the day. I was fortunate to catch Vinnie playing with Robben on a blues tour (prior to the Jing Chi fusion thing) and afterwards was hanging out. Robben turned to some of us and said "You know, I haven't played with him in years (referring to Vinnie) but there's that 'thing' again". Vinnie wasn't blowing chops on this gig, he was swinging shuffles and playing the blues the way they're meant to be played.

Of course, you can't talk of Robben, blues, and drumming without mentioning Tom Brechtlein who has his own way with shuffles. Things like Misdirected Blues where he plays a double shuffle on the ride and snare while doing a flat tire shuffle on the hat just blow my mind. Or the brush work on Start It Up.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 AM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 305
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadrumma View Post
Here is a conversation I had with a very good friend, Dave Myers, on Fred Below. Dave was the Aces guitar / bass player. -
Fred Below was a military educated drummer. That could mean formally a drummer in the military or learned from a military trained drummer while in the service. Im leaning toward the latter. When he returned to Chicago in 1951, it was Dave and Lewis that picked him up first, forming the Aces. In the early days of Belows development as a Chicago blues drummer, his style wasnt so quick to catch on. That military rigid style took some time to soften up. Lil Walter told Dave that Below wasnt gonna work out. Dave would reply "hold on for just a little while longer". If you watch Below play, he remained "stiff" however put enough grease in it to make it work. So in part your right, it was the guitarists, Dave and Lewis that brought Below along. Whats important to know is that The Myers brothers were educated musicians, as was Below. Together they worked it out. Side note, Dave Myers played the first electric bass in the city of Chicago, that being one of the first electric basses to be played publicly. (see Bass Player magazine, the one with Bootsy on the cover) That wasnt well received at first either, but when it was, along with Belows playing, the club scene went crazy for that sound.
As for the jazz influence. Little Walter couldnt stay out of the jazz clubs in Chicago, he loved that sound.
I recorded with Dave Myers on an Earwig Records release - Rob Stone & the C - Notes Just My Luck - 2003 Earwig Music Company Inc. He was a very close personal friend.
Both Fred Below and Odie Payne studied at the Roy Knapp School of Percussion in Chicago, so they were both "schooled" drummers (incidentally, Hal Blaine studied at this school as well, probably around the same time).

About a year ago I got an Aces album called Chicago Beat. It's got some great playing by Below, and since it was recorded in the 70's, the recording quality is a bit better than on his classic 50's and 60's recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Beat-A...3592310&sr=1-1

Ed Pierce
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
imadrumma imadrumma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
Both Fred Below and Odie Payne studied at the Roy Knapp School of Percussion in Chicago, so they were both "schooled" drummers (incidentally, Hal Blaine studied at this school as well, probably around the same time).

About a year ago I got an Aces album called Chicago Beat. It's got some great playing by Below, and since it was recorded in the 70's, the recording quality is a bit better than on his classic 50's and 60's recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Beat-A...3592310&sr=1-1

Ed Pierce
Below did study & played formally in the military as well. I found this bio. http://www.answers.com/topic/fred-below-1
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM
ginoca ginoca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Ken Johnson
James Cotton Band.

DRUMMER for acts including Ike & Tina Turner, the Steve Miller Band, Kenny Neal, and bluesmen James Cotton. Known for chomping on his trademark Juicy Fruit chewing gum and keeping the cymbals high to accommodate his long arms, Johnson was respected by musicians for his ability to drive a band. He died of complications from diabetes in Jonesboro, Georgia on March 19, 2005. RIP
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Best blues drummers

A Canadian drummer named Skip Prokop who played with Mike Bloomfield,and a guy who doesn't get nearly enough mention .......Richie Hayward,mostly for his work with Little Feat..great blues,and just a nasty mean shuffle.Steve Ferrone now with Tom Petty and formerly with Clapton can hold down a great blues backbeat,and a pretty mean shuffle.

You can't leave out Frank Beard in this discussion.His work with ZZ Top is a case of "how to" in ghost notes,and how many ways are there to play a shuffle.

For British electric blues,I would have to say Bonham,Mitch Mitchel(Hendrix did a lot of blues,especially live) and Charlie Watts.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Skulmoski's Avatar
Skulmoski Skulmoski is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Vinnie Colaiuta is with Jeff Beck's band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuZ-J5coKk

I am also blown away from their bass player (Tal Wilkenfeld).

GJS
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,241
Default Re: Best blues drummers

I like Mark Trexiera, (sp?) Duke Robillards drummer. His fast double shuffle is so refined...a thing of beauty. The modern blues drummers are a different breed from the traditional blues drummers. I think the game is much more stepped up now, in terms of cleanliness. Plus the recorded sound of the drums is better these days compared to blues drummers from the 70's and back.

Actually in my mind a double shuffle should be called a triple shuffle, because 3 limbs are shuffling, not 2.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,241
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
Vinnie Colaiuta is with Jeff Beck's band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuZ-J5coKk

I am also blown away from their bass player (Tal Wilkenfeld).

GJS
Sorry a little sidetrack, I have to mention this. Here's a link to the bass player in my main band at the Namm show. (she is an Agular amplifier endorsee) She is a Tal Wilkenfeld parallel. Short, cute, talented, and she definitely resembles Tal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QJ0...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 6,227
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Sorry a little sidetrack, I have to mention this. Here's a link to the bass player in my main band at the Namm show. (she is an Agular amplifier endorsee) She is a Tal Wilkenfeld parallel. Short, cute, talented, and she definitely resembles Tal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QJ0...eature=related
Now Larry, I'm REALLY jealous of you, I'm in love...(with the bass playing stuff, of course, what else)

Another link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J7OFg0BnYFw
__________________
I'm Swissman
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 AM
?uesto's Avatar
?uesto ?uesto is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 614
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Hate to drop his name so much but my uncle, Lee Finkelstein has been the drummer for the Blues Brothers for the last nine or ten years, subbed for Tower of Power for a few nights, and has recorded for Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Isaac Hayes as well as countless others.

Not saying he's the best, but he's my uncle and I gotta represent..
__________________
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch in Honey Amber
14" Club
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uesto View Post
Hate to drop his name so much but my uncle, Lee Finkelstein has been the drummer for the Blues Brothers for the last nine or ten years, subbed for Tower of Power for a few nights, and has recorded for Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Isaac Hayes as well as countless others.

Not saying he's the best, but he's my uncle and I gotta represent..

Lee is a fantastic player
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,413
Default Re: Best blues drummers

...

anyone hear of toss panos? plays with robben ford. hes a badass,

...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,186
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
...

anyone hear of toss panos? plays with robben ford. hes a badass,

...
-> post 58 ;)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,413
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
-> post 58 ;)
I had a feeling you might have gotten there before me, Swiss : )

This guy has all the chops and all the bluesmojojuice dripping out of his ears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUrNFeyqn4


...
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 2,796
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Chris Layton (SRV, Storyville, etc.)
Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)
Tom Brechtlein (Robben Ford)
Ted McKenna (Rory Gallagher)
Yonrico Scott (Derek Trucks Band)
Jeff Sipe (Susan Tedeschi)
Tyler Greenwell (Susan Tedeschi, Tedeschi Trucks Band)


Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman
Mapex Saturn (bass drum, toms, snare), MPX(snare); Sabian; Evans; La Backbeat
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,364
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Tony 'T.C.' Coleman. Has been with BB King since 1987. Saw him in a clinic a few weeks ago and he is smooth.
"Blues is the Roots, The rest is the Fruits."
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM
drumrbaer drumrbaer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Best blues drummers

There have been some great drummers mentioned in this thread. Blues drummers (and blues drumming) don't always get the most recognition, but it's a nuanced style of playing and great music to play.

Some great drummers not mentioned:

"Killer" Ray Allison (Buddy Guy, Carey Bell, James Cotton)

Casey Jones (Albert Collins and appears on tons of Alligator stuff with Johnnie B.Gayden)

Definitely guys worth checking out.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
motleyh's Avatar
motleyh motleyh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 482
Default Re: Best blues drummers

I don't know that there's a "best," but I have to cast my vote along with the other Sam Lay fans. Played on everything and with everybody, brought blues drumming to mass audiences, and helped set some standards. Also a real gentleman who encouraged a young drummer (me) by letting him sit in for an unimportant part of an Otis Rush gig about 40 years ago..... :)
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Vegas Island's Avatar
Vegas Island Vegas Island is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vegas Island, NV
Posts: 279
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruok View Post
One of the best is Chris Layton. Best known for drumming with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.. He has recently been playing with Pinetop Perkins.
Chris Layton is awesome!
__________________
My kit "Mjolnir": http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81641
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,270
Default Re: Best blues drummers

the obvious come too mind Bonham,Mitchell,Paice,Ward,Watts & others but I also admired Butch Trucks & Jai Johnny Johanson from the Allman Brothers & also Reg Isidore Robyn Trower's drummer on "Bridge of Sighs" great heavy rocking blues there.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,241
Default Re: Best blues drummers

Tal Bergman, Joe Bonnamassa's drummer, aint too shabby at blues. I like Jeff Sipe's playing a lot as well, as mentioned by Mark, from Susan Tedeschi's band.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com