Help a Dad out buying used set for son.

JpeBD

My 11 yo son is ready for an upgrade - at first I was just going to upgrade his cymbals and Hi-hat, but found this used set for $600 locally (probably negotiable).

i3itbq8di58y95j93jge.jpg

Pearl EXR Special Edition Tiger Eye 2006

drum throne,
kick pedal,
snare stand,
hi hat stand,
2 pearl boom stands,
zildjian zbt 14" hi hat cymbals,
1 zildjian 14" zbt crash,
1 zildjian zht medium 20" ride cymbal.

22x18 Bass Drum
14x5.5 Matching Snare Drum
12x9 Mounted Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x16 Floor Tom

I am a musician but not a drummer, but this seems like a good deal including cymbals and hardware. Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time.

He has used this "mini" beginner set for two years, which we bought just to gauge interest, and he is now playing in school band, takes lessons, practices without being asked, etc.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-..._420G6xSJ-m4fXd-j_kuDhk0Y1PrF6aoaAgUzEALw_wcB

What if I were able to get the Pearl set for closer to $400? What's a good price?

If anyone has time/inclination to post what you think is "good deal" on ebay, maybe I could look for similar sets? I know this is not a professional set, but I at least want to get him something full sized and that will hopefully last him through High School. Since he's been playing on a real set at his drum lessons, he now has "seen the light" and knows what a good set sounds and feels like.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited:
My 11 yo son is ready for an upgrade - at first I was just going to upgrade his cymbals and Hi-hat, but found this used set for $600 locally.

https://reverb.com/item/7604967-pearl-exr-special-edition-tiger-eye-2006

Pearl EXR Special Edition Tiger Eye 2006

I am a musician but not a drummer, but this seems like a good deal including cymbals and hardware. Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time.

Joe

What does he have now? If it is that exact kit and those exact cymbals and hardware for $600, that isn't really that great of a deal and depending on what he has now, it might be a lateral move if not a downgrade.

I think you are doing the right thing for looking at used equipment!

Keep your eyes open for someone who is looking to get rid of everything all at once. Usually the more they package together, the more you can save.

Heres what it comes with:

drum throne, kick pedal, snare stand, hi hat stand, 2 pearl boom stands, zildjian zbt 14" hi hat cymbals, 1 zildjian 14" zbt crash, 1 zildjian zht medium 20" ride cymbal.

22x18 Bass Drum
14x5.5 Matching Snare Drum
12x9 Mounted Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x16 Floor Tom

$600 is a bit much, $400 is a fair deal, but you can probably find better.

The drums will be a bit of an upgrade to what he's got now, at least sizes will be more standard. The cymbals will be an upgrade, but you are still talking about pretty cheap cymbals though a huge step up from the ones he has. The hardware is probably where the big upgrade is going to be.

If anyone has time/inclination to post what you think is "good deal" on ebay, maybe I could look for similar sets? I know this is not a professional set, but I at least want to get him something full sized and that will hopefully last him through High School. Since he's been playing on a real set at his drum lessons, he now has "seen the light" and knows what a good set sounds and feels like.

Thanks!

The problem is it very much depends on the individual components of what the thing is coming with. For example, I see all the time around here on cragislist basically a standard 5 piece kit with hardware and the standard ZBT/B8 cymbals for around $300-350.

Is something like this much better for about the same $?

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/pasadena-drum-set-yamaha/6796896738.html

Thanks!

Both of those are decent deals. What is his current kit? Cheaper drums are easier to make sound a little better with heads but cheap cymbals are as is.
So unless his drums are falling apart I'd return to your original idea to replace his cymbals and stay away from 'zbt' and entry levels.
Nice used cymbals - Zildjian A, Sabian AA, AAX... are allover most c/list sites - hats, ride and a crash and he is set for another few years. As you've seen, it will be easier to buy a kit without any cymbals.

Do not buy ZBT, ZHT or any supposedly "student" level cymbals. The best thing a new drummer can do is have real b20 cymbals. The student ones actually hold people back in both playing and technique.

I'd say forget the kit replacement, and buy a set of standard Zildjian A's.

I think the Pearl is about right with negotiation, but indeed much better than the SPL, and still some room to gauge interest still at 11. More drums, more versatile. Say hello to my home town of Catonsville

Do not buy ZBT, ZHT or any supposedly "student" level cymbals. The best thing a new drummer can do is have real b20 cymbals. The student ones actually hold people back in both playing and technique.
Real cymbals don't have to only be B20, I and a lot of others happen to enjoy our B8 Paiste pro level cymbals very much.

Your getting a lot in that package for $600. The cymbals are not great sounding but they're not the worst by any means. It's a very durable and decent sounding kit that will work well for years. If you can get the price down from $600 that makes it a great deal.

There are a lot worse kits than Pearl Exports. Plus, that color wrap looks cool! Your 11 year old would love it!

$400 - $450 with hardware and cymbals is a pretty good deal. Export shell packs go for around $300 - $350 around here, and we're talking about real plain colors in 2 up - 1 down version.

That's a decent deal. If you can bargain down a bit, all the better.
The drums are way better than his current kit, and I'm sure the cymbals are a step or several up from what came with that kit.
While they're not pro level cymbals, they should hold him until he starts working, and decides if he wants to upgrade.

Absolutely LOVE those wraps. Really cool. I'd a loved that for sure when I was 12. Definitely get them down a bit.

As far as the cymbals, you can always upgrade in a few years.

Offer $400 for everything. If you can get them for $500 do it. I agree with upgrading the cymbals later. There is a reason Exports are the best selling drums of all time.

..Real cymbals don't have to only be B20, I and a lot of others happen to enjoy our B8 Paiste pro level cymbals very much..

Lol..yes..

I personally also never thought about the 2002-series or Giant Beat-series or even the Signature-series (which is also not B20..) as being amateur cymbals or some other sort of low-level..

Thanks guys, a bit more info -

The set he has now is admittedly just a step up from a toy regarding sound, I think I could make a pie plate sound better than the cymbals that came with it, but it did serve its purpose. Getting super nice cymbals to go with current set seems like overkill. But then again I admit I know next to nothing about cymbals.

I am sure I can get the Pearl set for $450. I am just looking to get him a full size set with semi-decent cymbals for now. Anything would be an upgrade over what he has.

The set he has now is admittedly just a step up from a toy regarding sound, I think I could make a pie plate sound better than the cymbals that came with it, but it did serve its purpose. Getting super nice cymbals to go with current set seems like overkill.

I am sure I can get the Pearl set for $450. I am just looking to get him a full size set with semi-decent cymbals for now. Anything would be an upgrade over what he has.

Get some really good hats and a good crash. Worry about the ride later.

The set he has now is admittedly just a step up from a toy regarding sound, I think I could make a pie plate sound better than the cymbals that came with it, but it did serve its purpose. Getting super nice cymbals to go with current set seems like overkill. But then again I admit I know next to nothing about cymbals.

I am sure I can get the Pearl set for $450. I am just looking to get him a full size set with semi-decent cymbals for now. Anything would be an upgrade over what he has.[/QUOTE

One thought...be sure he is practicing with hearing protection. If so the cymbals will sound fine to him.

Back