Suggestions on books?

I'm a beginner (7 months), no teacher. Found some books online from Trinity and Rockschool Drums. Thoughts?

A good book is George Stone Stick Control. read the intro, you could spend years on it if you choose to. Use your feet as well as hands. You can buy them on line for 10 bucks. Sorry its late I don't know anything about those books your referring to.

Last edited:
Realistic Rock by Carmine Appice and Drumset Warmups by Rod Morganstein are two good books that I have used.

I've used Trinity Guildhall and I have seen Rock School but never used them.

The TG are the drumming equivalent of what you'd play if you were learning the piano. It's a graded syllabus and the way they're generally used here is that you would perform 3 pieces, plus theory, rudiments and sight-reading in an exam. You'd become a very proficient music-reader and competent technician, and you'd encounter a range of genres, but they aren't very closely related to real actual drumming that you would be required to do in a band, and especially after Grade 6 they seem to become difficult simply for the sake of being difficult - but that's what stretches your musicianship, because if you can make them sound like music it's one hell of an achievement.

From what I know of Rock School, these books are intended to bridge the gap between informal drumming and being a trained drummer. I don't know if they cover any styles other than rock, but like the TG, they come with CDs of the pieces both with and without drums.

The first couple of books of both would definitely be worth a try. If you struggle, play one bar at a time with one limb at a time until you're comfortable and then add in the others, and I'd suggest recording yourself once you start to play along with the tracks. Don't forget that there are apps that can slow them down for you, or loop the difficult parts so you can play them over and over.

A good book is George Stone Stick Control. read the intro, you could spend years on it if you choose to. Use your feet as well as hands. You can buy them on line for 10 bucks. Sorry its late I don't know anything about those books your referring to.

I'm using this book working on page 2 (and going back to page 1 for review) at 96 bpm. Also using Alfred's Beginning Drumset Method as well as a learning guide from an online site.

Magenta, thanks for the info about the TG books. I may look into them. I guess my time last night trying to play along with drumless tracks was a smack in the face. Too much focus on a few areas and not keeping up with what I have worked on in the last few months. I'm revising my routine and will find more music to play along with.

Snooping about, I found a thread about drum grades and Trinity vs Rockschool. Think I will go with Trinity for the structure and incorporation of rudiments in the pieces.

WaitForItDrummer is doing Trinity, and I'm sure she'd be happy to give you her views from the coal-face, as it were. Plenty of teachers on here too, of course :)

Back