Major Personal Milestone Achieved

JustJames

Platinum Member
Yesterday, after two and a bit years of playing, I achieved a personal first.

I broke a drum stick!

That is all.

You're not hitting incorrectly and hard enough. Use some bad technique, and you'll do it more often. ;-)

Wow, you must be a proper drummer now! I'm in awe.

I must be.

Now I just need to work a bit more on getting into fights with guitarists...oh. Wait.

Yep - deffo a proper drummer now!

Glad to hear you've finally popped your cherry mate. Raising a glass to you on this momentous occasion........and after I've had that glass I'm going to go and play my drums to see if the combination of one alcoholic drink and drumming really will rip a hole in the space/time continuum.

My first set just look a little gnawed around the edges. They've a way to go before structural failure.

:D

S

L

O

W

C

L

A

P

Really man, seriously? At a gig? What kind of band are you in? Is it a real Poncho or is it a Sears Poncho?

Completely unrelated...You know how at a jobsite there's a sign that says: 87 days (or whatever) without an accident?
On my drumset I have a sign that says 32 hours without a dropped stick.

I'm dead serious when I say I want to install a rear view mirror on my drumset.
I have a steady twice a month gig where my back is up against a glass wall where the other side of the glass is a sidewalk in a really cool town. A ton of people walk by all the time.
I miss so much stuff going on behind me! There's no good place to install it!

Yea that's right I shamelessly hijacked this thread, and I'm taking it to Cuba. That's just what I'm telling you guys. Really, you're all on a hell ride and you're all my next victims!

Haga!

Last edited:
That's funny. Hey, I broke a Zildjian drumstick a few months ago and I said to myself, "hey, that's the first time I broke a drumstick since the last time I owned a pair of Zildjian drumsticks.

It's interesting how we're all different with this stuff.
I almost Never break sticks. Maybe one or two in my entire life.

Come to think of it, I have only broken a few fresh sticks in my life.
3 perhaps in over 40 years.
I have had several nylon tips fly off and many well worn sticks that should have been in the fireplace break at practice.

This was no fresh stick!

It was a record of my drumming journey, and had been whittled down to the point where the inevitable had no choice but to occur.

I used to have a favourite pair of Vater 7As that had a massive chunk missing out of the middle. For some reason, I loved those sticks and continued playing them for weeks after the chunk appeared. Never broke them!

I'm not a regular stick breaker and it's usually defective sticks that break on me but it's a rite of passage. Congratulations.

I used to have a favourite pair of Vater 7As that had a massive chunk missing out of the middle. For some reason, I loved those sticks and continued playing them for weeks after the chunk appeared. Never broke them!

I'm not a regular stick breaker and it's usually defective sticks that break on me but it's a rite of passage. Congratulations.

The Elvin Jones sticks you gave me are still alive and well, although a bit moth-eaten! They're Marlene's favourites. I dread the day when they go to the great big bonfire in the sky :( When they do, you'll just have to give me another pair (there will be caek).

The Elvin Jones sticks you gave me are still alive and well, although a bit moth-eaten! They're Marlene's favourites. I dread the day when they go to the great big bonfire in the sky :( When they do, you'll just have to give me another pair (there will be caek).

That was over a year ago! My my, you do look after them well. As with all my sticks, they're hard to get hold of sometimes!

Caek sounds like a very exciting prospect indeed...

Back