DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Ok, do your worst ;)

My "rabbit in the headlights" moment. Bullied from the control room & forced on the spot to do this through severe peer pressure. As I sat on the stool, absolutely no idea what I was going to play or say, & all in the company of guys who really can. 1 take, here we go Andy - 3, 2, 1, action!

Enjoy Aaron & Jon taking the p!$$ out of Andy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Z5...JlKL3B5jnHJy6g

Note cymbal miss :)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ok, do your worst ;)

Someday this will be the answer to a trivia question--Beatloaf's first guest. Loved it.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Someday this will be the answer to a trivia question--Beatloaf's first guest. Loved it.
I doubt it - Ok, maybe, but for all the wrong reasons. Actually, David was the first published Beatloaf guest. There was another drummer who tracked before David I think. Can't remember his name (great player), but his episode hasn't been published yet.

Wish I'd had time to prepare. I wouldn't have been so stumbling in my presentation. Probably adjusted the kit so I didn't miss the damn cymbal too ;)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:05 PM

That is actually quite cool Andy and I also think it's good to show these type of licks in the Beatloaf series, so tap on the back, good job :)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Renegade

Andy, seeing you and hearing you chat brought back good memories of London :)

I'd be even less comfortable than you were if put in that position, so I can't judge.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM

Very cool, nice fill too :).

Mark
Old 11-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

I love the realisation on your face; it seems you've never once thought about the fact that you lead that triplet with your left hand.

And yeah, it really is not that easy to do. Granted, my left hand fails at just about everything in life, but I can't fluently play a hand/foot combo leading with my left hand (or foot, for that matter).
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I love the realisation on your face; it seems you've never once thought about the fact that you lead that triplet with your left hand.

And yeah, it really is not that easy to do. Granted, my left hand fails at just about everything in life, but I can't fluently play a hand/foot combo leading with my left hand (or foot, for that matter).
I used to use that fill (& variations) way back in the day, so I suppose it surprised me that anyone would question it. I can do the same fill right hand lead no problem, & I probably use right hand lead for most triplet stuff I do.

My left hand on snare sucks royally (must practice that one day), but I use left hand lead "in groove" fills a lot, & a sprinkling of left hand lead grooves too, so I guess I'm kind of used to placing the left around toms quite freely. I chose left hand lead for these two fills simply because it suits in groove hand placement & the "run down the toms" vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiet1966 View Post
Very cool, nice fill too :).

Mark
Thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Andy, seeing you and hearing you chat brought back good memories of London :)

I'd be even less comfortable than you were if put in that position, so I can't judge.
Ah, London. The dulcet tones of a confused overly verbal, & slightly eccentric Englishman ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
That is actually quite cool Andy and I also think it's good to show these type of licks in the Beatloaf series, so tap on the back, good job :)
Beatloaf has enough really clever stuff going on already, so a bit of billy basic rock fill stuff is welcome I suppose. I can't pretend it was a conscious choice though - it was the first thing that came into my head! If asked to do it again, I'd probably choose something a bit more slick - something David Floegel can't do (read = rare), just to stroke my own ego a bit ;)
Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome Andy. Now you're a youtube star ;)
Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

I really think this is my favourite Beatloaf session. Yep, I even prefer it to dear David's - although it's a close-run thing ;)

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Awesome Andy. Now you're a youtube star ;)
"Chortle" - that won't be happening anytime soon my Nordic friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I really think this is my favourite Beatloaf session. Yep, I even prefer it to dear David's - although it's a close-run thing ;)
FFS don't tell David that. He's a sensitive soul ;) I strongly suspect you've based your decision on the relative impossibility of replicating Davids fill vs. the ease of replicating mine :)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Why would I do my worst, when it looks like you've just done yours?

Zing!

Kidding aside, I love that lick, use it or variations a lot since it fits with so many main grooves.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Andy the kit sounds truly awesome. You sounded good too for what little you played-jibber jabber jibber jabber, talk, talk, talk. hee,hee,hee.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Dude - stop being so bloody humble about how you play. The kit sounds great, you sound great, you do the gig. Stop it.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 PM

I have to echo Bo Elder's sentiments.. Don't sell yourself so short mate. Your ease of motion around the kit is clearly evident and quite impressive considering the pressure of the situation.

Last edited by TapTailor; 11-18-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Poor grammar!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

I'm going to jump in line behind Bo and TapTaior here, and I say it with a smile. A humble spirit is a good thing, but you pretty much always go to self deprecation regarding your playing, and you're too harsh in your assessment.

I like your playing Andy, and I think that you did a good job in the video.

Last edited by Derek; 11-18-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys :) Yes, I am harsh on myself, & no, I don't do it to attract ego stroking praise. You see, I spend most of my professional drumming life around players who really can play, & I mean play with a breadth of repertoire that places my meagre offerings into stark context. If I'm truthful, I'm pretty good at what I do, actually, better than many at what I do, but what I do is hugely limited. Lucky for me, what I do is 80% of what's required on most playing situations I encounter. My lack of overall ability, my woeful attention to practice/advancement of any kind, is why I've taken on my latest gig. It pushes me, it's outside of my sphere of operation, I don't even like most of the material. That's good for me, I think.

You may laugh at this, but my technical highlight of the year was pulling out a couple of fills that David Floegel can't do. They're me all over, & hark back to the day when I actually had something to offer to the scene. I'm an inherently lazy bastard when it comes to practice. One of these days I'll actually find the time & inclination to woodshed. Until then, I grow organically through live playing experience. Maybe someday, I'll become the player I was 30 years ago. From that foundation, I could really spring forward.

Then there's the (welcome) reality check. LDS jam night last weekend. I'm so outclassed it's untrue. Kinda happy about that because it's a pressure off situation, but it keeps me grounded, as if I ever needed that.

Sorry for the half book, I've had wine :)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

The drums sound incredible and your playing is excellent. Nice job.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

This was really cool. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

I enjoyed it and liked your playing, dont be so hard on yourself!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Andy, you don't give yourself enough credit. You looked and sounded perfectly fine, and explained yourself very well. Nice job :)

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys :) Wish I'd had a bit of time to prepare though. I could have made it so much clearer & with useful variations.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Just saw this. I think you sound great on this, Andy. You definitely sell yourself short. Reading your posts, I always get the image of some hack who can't execute anything. Then you play and it's hard to believe you're describing the same drummer!

Would love to get the chance to hang with you one of these days and talk drums over a beer (or single malt). Maybe I can trick my employer into a business trip to your side of the pond.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Just saw this. I think you sound great on this, Andy. You definitely sell yourself short. Reading your posts, I always get the image of some hack who can't execute anything. Then you play and it's hard to believe you're describing the same drummer!

Would love to get the chance to hang with you one of these days and talk drums over a beer (or single malt). Maybe I can trick my employer into a business trip to your side of the pond.
You're too kind Larry :) The guys really caught me out with this one!

I'd love to hang :) Anytime you're over here, just let me know. You're most welcome to come & stay.

I am planning a brief trip to the US early next year. I'm trying to steal a weekend hang in the middle of a business trip. It's by no means sorted out yet, but I'm hoping to base out of New Jersey & hang with Larry (H). I may get some time transiting New York too. It's sketchy right now, but I hope to nail it soon. I know I'll also be back to New York in November next year, & I'll be hovering around Houston a couple of times this year too (around May - June time I believe).
Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I am planning a brief trip to the US early next year. I'm trying to steal a weekend hang in the middle of a business trip. It's by no means sorted out yet, but I'm hoping to base out of New Jersey & hang with Larry (H). I may get some time transiting New York too. It's sketchy right now, but I hope to nail it soon. I know I'll also be back to New York in November next year, & I'll be hovering around Houston a couple of times this year too (around May - June time I believe).
I wanted to use this as a chance to bash your playing, kit choice, leather jacket etc. but this is awesome news!! if your in colonies, I will do whatever I can to meet up. hahaha I may not be welcome though!!
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Like you said, it's in time. Which makes it musical. I love that term "the dreaded gallop". I see so much of that. Actually for me, leading left like that helps me keep it more even. But you make it so smooth and natural.

BTW, are those some wrinkles I see on the floor tom head? Sounds awesome though.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Like you said, it's in time. Which makes it musical. I love that term "the dreaded gallop". I see so much of that. Actually for me, leading left like that helps me keep it more even. But you make it so smooth and natural.

BTW, are those some wrinkles I see on the floor tom head? Sounds awesome though.
Hahaha, yes, the dreaded gallop! If there's one area in rock/pop drumming that needs to be ultra clean, but so often isn't, it's hand foot triplets. Mainly because they're so prominent when delivered.

No wrinkles - it's a reflection from the lamp shade. Head is set fairly slack though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no talent View Post
I wanted to use this as a chance to bash your playing, kit choice, leather jacket etc.
You disappoint me ;)