Shall one just play with everybody to stand out?

Grolubao

Hi all,

I'm planning to move to London to pursue my musical aspirations. I play for around 15 years but where I'm at right now there's not a lot going on. I went to many auditions here, but quite frankly the level was very low and I felt it would be a waste of time trying something with that people.

That leads to rethink my attitude when I move to London. Should I just try to engage in playing with as many people as I can even if the project is not very interesting just for the sake of networking, or should I stick with my principle of just joining a band when I know it has a real good potential?

Because I always think: why would I waste time playing with these people and barely learn something when I could be at home practicing my chops?

What's your call on this?

First you would have to define potential. Not the word, but yours. What are your aspirations. For me, playing with any group will be better than playing on a pad. You may not be in the best, most interesting band, but as you say the networking experience is invaluable. You wont meet anyone sitting in your flat. Granted the practice will help, but in my opinion the playing with others could do wonders. Good luck.

I've seen ads for drummers saying they are looking for a working band.

Because I always think: why would I waste time playing with these people and barely learn something when I could be at home practicing my chops?

Or to flip it. Why would you be sitting at home practising your chops when you could be out honing your stage craft, your musiciality, your musical interaction and interpretation and your ability to gel with other musicians and drive a band? Food for thought.

I get not wanting to waste time, but surely this is a hurdle to be jumped when you're actually in London lining up for work, no? You're counting your chickens before they hatch. At this stage you have no offers to pick and chose from anyway. Why not get there and scope the scene before making a call one way or the other? You're moving city to play, yet you're talking yourself out of playing before you've even started. Makes no sense.

Be prepared to grab opportunities to play. Even if it turns out to be less that ideal, you have no idea where it'll lead. And let's be honest, if you're in your bedroom practising your chops then you're not even in contention for something good. You're in real danger of missing out all together.

I'm not suggesting you surround yourself with time wasters, dreamers and fools.....but you've gotta be prepared to have a crack, no? It won't just miraculously drop in to your lap. It's the type of thing you put in the leg work for......even if it means encountering a few situations that you'd really rather avoid. But that's the time to decide to walk away IMHO, not now before you've even begun.

Lot's of top guys will say they got the gig, or at least the opportunity to audition for the gig, because they met so and so on a small gig.

Most people only recommend or hire people they've worked with.

why would I waste time playing with these people and barely learn something when I could be at home practicing my chops?
Because chances are, few people will ever hire you for your chops.
But they will hire you if you prove to be reliable and a team player.

... or should I stick with my principle of just joining a band when I know it has a real good potential?
Potential for what?

Some people are happy enough just playing their instruments while others have strong opinions about what kind of music they'd be happy playing. Still others won't play unless it pays no matter how much they might - or might not - like the music.

What makes any band worthy of your effort is for you to decide, but I can't see how all the "chops" in the world will do you any good without applying them in a musical situation.

Sure I mean, don't get me wrong I never refuse a session, that's all fine by me, but another thing is meeting up people and start a band and going through the whole process of creation where I can already see it doesn't have much potential. I find that most of the times jams are a good way to improve your improvisation but no so much to do something productive in the sense of creating something with a structure, etc.

Going through all the process means I need to invest time and money in something I don't know if it will work out, opposed to joining a band that is in the circuit already with gigs aligned.

By portential I mean potential to achieve something great. Not to measure by success but being able to be proud of what you created.

Last time I felt this I was in a Incubus Tribute band, and boy the band was good and there was so much potentail. We had the sound and vibe all together.

......opposed to joining a band that is in the circuit already with gigs aligned.

Sure. It's an ideal situation mate. I'd love it....I'm guessing we'd all love it. And as an unknown player in a new city, if you can pull it off then more power to ya.

But, whilst it could happen, answer yourself this. Is it more or less likely that you'll have a great gig just drop from the sky? Or is it more or less likely you may have to slog it out on the circuit for a while and build up contacts and some kind of a reputation? What do you think is the more realistic situation? What do you think is the situation you're far better off preparing for?

I get you wanna hit the ground running. If you think you can pull it off, then don't let any of us stop you. But as an unknown in a new town, you've gotta start somewhere. Just be prepared that that start may not be the headline band.......and be equally prepared that there are better alternatives to shedding in your bedroom and living on a prayer, if you find your first option ain't the headline band.

Last edited:
You should play as much as you want to. I see no down side to playing with as many different people, genres or styles as possible. It will only serve to educate you in many dynamics that practice alone can never do. If you have that opportunity, revel in it.

I believe that you absorb a little of the musicianship of the people you play with.

If this is true I suggest staying away from musicians whos music you do not like.

Back